Randall XL Mic Emulator test

guitarbilly74

• Members

A little "warbly" sounding, but besides that it sounds great, I loved running the recording line out on my jcm 900 and pairing it up with a cab IR, it always came out great.

I have a JCM900 and have messed around with the direct output. From what I have found is that the amp has to be in "Standby" and the master volume has to be turned up quite a bit to send a strong enough signal. I find this weird since the amp is standby and the power section isn't being used, but I guess in a way it is being used... Is this the same results you had? The manual is less than vague on the matter... Also, what kind of cable should I use a guitar cable or a speaker cable?

Cole

• Members

A little "warbly" sounding, but besides that it sounds great, I loved running the recording line out on my jcm 900 and pairing it up with a cab IR, it always came out great.

yeah I do hear the warble you are talking about. One of the issues I am having is that the signal from the emulators is REALLY hot. I had to run the amp volume at 1 or they would distort. I wonder if I am doing something wrong...

• Members

yeah I do hear the warble you are talking about. One of the issues I am having is that the signal from the emulators is REALLY hot. I had to run the amp volume at 1 or they would distort. I wonder if I am doing something wrong...

Weird. When I tried the mic eliminators on my XL cab they were super quiet and I couldn't get the signal loud enough when putting it thru my dad's mixer and PA speakers. The XLR out on the back of my T2 however was indeed too loud, as the volume seemed to match with the channel volume level. :p :shrug:

• Members

Weird. When I tried the mic eliminators on my XL cab they were super quiet and I couldn't get the signal loud enough when putting it thru my dad's mixer and PA speakers. The XLR out on the back of my T2 however was indeed too loud, as the volume seemed to match with the channel volume level.
:p
:shrug:

yeah it's really weird. Anyway, I just listened to the clip again and I don't really like it, the rig sounds much better mic'd. I can definitely hear the directness on the tone now. But i guess it's a good solution for quick recordings. I want to try it through a live mixer, I heard that's where it really shines.

• Members

yeah it's really weird. Anyway, I just listened to the clip again and I don't really like it, the rig sounds much better mic'd. I can definitely hear the directness on the tone now. But i guess it's a good solution for quick recordings. I want to try it through a live mixer, I heard that's where it really shines.

It's good enough for me! :thu:

• Members

Its ok.. I wouldn't consider it that impressive to be honest. It might be a good thing for live use to always run a direct from these and also run a miced tone.. It would give a little bit more consistency from gig to gig, and perhaps a bigger sound. And since that would be 2 fairly different tones, you could have the front of house run the direct sound to the left and the miced to the right. That should give a true stereo guitar tone..

• Members

Billy, is this
ok?

Get it.

I run a pair of those and they slay.

As for the clip I'll be honest I don't really like it much Billy.

Has that same weird wooliness that I can't ever get rid of either when using mine.

I really liked the mic elims at first but I think it was just because I was into the concept of them more than the actual sound.

Archived