Chevy > Ford

MatchFive

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
yeah, but the 305 was terrible. The thing is, at that point in time the 302 was really intended to compete with what Chevy's 350 was up to. Ford used what they did (and won out in the 80's!) to compete with what Chevy did, and they typically do go the lower displacement route. That said, displacement isn't an excuse for lesser performance.

It's kind of funny to me now, with all the advancements that have been made on both sides, to price a SBC and see that a stock 350 (the standard-bearer!) is good for 190 horses.
:lol:

Actually the HO 305 was decent...trouble is it was put into HOGS like the Monte SS or 4x4 trucks...both of which I drove. The Monte was fun...smoked the tires like a MOFO.

• Members

EXACTLY........retards don't get it that the 4.6 mod is actually ONLY 281cubic inches up againt their 5.7L (350 cubic incher). Whatever.

And that's GM's fault HOW exactly??? :freak: Ford is the one who squeezed the nuts out of their engines :idk:

I do always love that when Ford guys feel the conversation is not going their way they ALWAYS go back to the displacement...Funny.

Especially since knucklefux used the "big displacement" motors earlier as one of his defenses for ford :lol: Funny {censored}. :)

• Members

Actually the HO 305 was decent...trouble is it was put into HOGS like the Monte SS or 4x4 trucks...both of which I drove. The Monte was fun...smoked the tires like a MOFO.

Right...cool thing about those were, they were the damn same as a 5.7 with different bore and/or stroke. All the cams/heads were interchangable as far as I know. Much like all the LS series engines are now. You can use 6.0 heads on a 5.3 block, or 5.3 heads on a 6.0 block and you'll actually boost your compression for a little extra bump in power. GM has always been pretty good about parts interchangability.

• Members

And that's GM's fault HOW exactly???
:freak:
Ford is the one who squeezed the nuts out of their engines
:idk:

I do always love that when Ford guys feel the conversation is not going their way they ALWAYS go back to the displacement...Funny.

Especially since knucklefux used the "big displacement" motors earlier as one of his defenses for ford
Funny {censored}.
:)

Don't forget it goes both ways, I find the 351 vs. 400 to be funny {censored}. :cop:

• Members

Don't forget it goes both ways, I find the 351 vs. 400 to be funny {censored}.
:cop:

It absolutely goes both ways. The 400 SBC? :lol: That thing was a dog...but it was mainly a truck motor anyway, and meant for torque, which it had a lot of...Thing that sucked about those is you couldn't bore them past .030 because the walls were so thing :facepalm::lol:

• Members

Right...cool thing about those were, they were the damn same as a 5.7 with different bore and/or stroke. All the cams/heads were interchangable as far as I know. Much like all the LS series engines are now. You can use 6.0 heads on a 5.3 block, or 5.3 heads on a 6.0 block and you'll actually boost your compression for a little extra bump in power. GM has always been pretty good about parts interchangability.

I read what they were a loooong time ago...350 stroke with 26x bore? I forget what the second was exactly...some parts were interchangeable, but it still didn't make them beasts of motors. At their best, with bolt-ons they could get in the same ballpark as stock Ford 302's.

• Members

nah, turbos are cool if they're your thing. i prefer N/A myself, but i don't begrudge anybody else their power adder...as long as they're not trying to hide it...

the fastest run i saw was 9.56, i believe. it's a race car, and it raced in a heads up N/A class. i say raced because he's changed engines in the quest for lower ET. it was a serious ride, though...

i said it was about acceleration, not horsepower.

reading comprehension, how does it work?:poke:

Ok, so we are talking a gutted race car, which probably is not even drivable on the road...I have a video of a guy with a 427 small block LSx motor that is N/A riding a wheelie down the 1/8th mile mark and running sub 10 quarter miles...Naturally Aspirated...is that more to your liking?

Oh it's also a street car, driven to and from the track with no trailer... :)

• Members

nah, turbos are cool if they're your thing. i prefer N/A myself, but i don't begrudge anybody else their power adder...as long as they're not trying to hide it...

the fastest run i saw was 9.56, i believe. it's a race car, and it raced in a heads up N/A class. i say raced because he's changed engines in the quest for lower ET. it was a serious ride, though...

i said it was about acceleration, not horsepower.

reading comprehension, how does it work?:poke:

Ok, so we are talking a gutted race car, which probably is not even drivable on the road...I have a video of a guy with a 427 small block LSx motor that is riding a wheelie down the 1/8th mile mark and running sub 10 quarter miles...Naturally Aspirated...is that more to your liking?

Oh it's also a street car, driven to and from the track with no trailer... :)

ZjP3yxZBFLM

• Members

I read what they were a loooong time ago...350 stroke with 26x bore? I forget what the second was exactly...some parts were interchangeable, but it still didn't make them beasts of motors. At their best, with bolt-ons they could get in the same ballpark as stock Ford 302's.

Most were truck engines anyway...My brother had one in his old shortbed stepside and it wasn't a bad motor...but then again, those trucks weren't made for speed either :lol:

But yeah, no denying they were pigs... :lol:

• Members

Most were truck engines anyway...My brother had one in his old shortbed stepside and it wasn't a bad motor...but then again, those trucks weren't made for speed either
But yeah, no denying they were pigs...

I had the misfortune of owning a '91 camaro RS. It was convertible, so in high school, it got all the right kinds of attention, if you know what I mean, but DEAR GOD that TBI 305 could get outrun by a civic. :lol:

• Members

I had the misfortune of owning a '91 camaro RS. It was convertible, so in high school, it got all the right kinds of attention, if you know what I mean, but DEAR GOD that TBI 305 could get outrun by a civic.

Oh god...TBI and TPI :facepalm: For {censored}s sake, thank god for the LT1 and LS1 advances :lol:

And for some reason I thought we were talking about the Vortec 5.0...which is what my previous post was about. Truthfully I try to forget about GMs TBI and TPI engines...holy {censored} what piles of {censored} :lol:

• Members

Which do you guys prefer as far as exhaust sounds? Ive always thought chevy's have sounded smooth and linear, where as the fords seem raspy and deeper. I prefer chevy, what about you guys? (i am talking about generally street cars, not massively tuned cars)

Hard to say, they are both different. I used to have GM's, and prefer the Ford sound. Now that I've exclusively driven Mustangs and the like for about 8 years, I find myself preferring the sound of a SBC :facepalm: I guess this is how we end up with amp GAS.

• Members
Which do you guys prefer as far as exhaust sounds? Ive always thought chevy's have sounded smooth and linear, where as the fords seem raspy and deeper. I prefer chevy, what about you guys? (i am talking about generally street cars, not massively tuned cars)

Hard to say, they are both different. I used to have GM's, and prefer the Ford sound. Now that I've exclusively driven Mustangs and the like for about 8 years, I find myself preferring the sound of a SBC :facepalm: I guess this is how we end up with amp GAS.

• Members

427 and only a 10 second car? so much fail. if his rear suspension weren't FUBAR'd, he'd probably be running bottom nines...

Dude, you can't be that retarded, seriously...It's a STREET car, not a gutted race car...and it's able to be driven on the street...meaning, the car is not going to sputter out taking off from a stop light without being dumped from 5k RPM...

But since we're talking about it...Here you go, ask your buddy if he wants to race...I can get him in contact with this guy because he's a friend of mine.

For the record...when you are hooking up like that and pulling that kind of a wheelie, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with your suspension...That's the traction you WANT...He took his wheelie bars off because he was practicing for a wheelie competition...

I coulda swore you were smarter than that...anyway...Here's a 9.4x pass for you since you think it's not setup right :freak:

eMxzZIuwjJA

• Members
I had the misfortune of owning a '91 camaro RS. It was convertible, so in high school, it got all the right kinds of attention, if you know what I mean, but DEAR GOD that TBI 305 could get outrun by a civic.

I sold some headers and exhaust to a guy who had the same car.....WHAT A NIGHTMARE that was.....he never did install the system due to the bazillion emission lines and conections.

• Members

Oh god...TBI and TPI
:facepalm:
For {censored}s sake, thank god for the LT1 and LS1 advances

And for some reason I thought we were talking about the Vortec 5.0...which is what my previous post was about. Truthfully I try to forget about GMs TBI and TPI engines...holy {censored} what piles of {censored}

TPI wasn't all bad. It brought us to the LT1.

As I mentioned before, the L98 in my 87 GTA was FUN to drive, and was no slouch at the strip...but it pains me to think what kind of numbers it could've put up if it would've continued picking up after 3500RPM... :(

• Members

TPI wasn't all bad. It brought us to the LT1.

As I mentioned before, the L98 in my 87 GTA was FUN to drive, and was no slouch at the strip...but it pains me to think what kind of numbers it could've put up if it would've continued picking up after 3500RPM...
:(

It wasn't terrible, but it was just a torque monster...Those cars had something like 230hp and 320ft/lbs...Crazy...They got it right once the lt1 came about though, you're correct.

Archived