NTD

guitarbilly74

• Members

So have you detected any real tonal qualities of the tube? Have you moved it around to the other slots? I use JJ 12AT7s

I have not tried to move it around yet. I am going to try that tomorrow at the studio. I will probably also record some samples with the tube at different positions and post it here :)

• Members

I snagged a Peavey relabeled JAN/Philips 12AT7, but I ultimately didn't like the way it sounded in the Peavey Classic 50... I imagine in the proper amp, a tube like that would be great. However, the JAN/Philips 5751 was extremely toneful, while cutting some of the gain.

I can't wait to hear what it sounds like... You always have solid tone and clips!!!

Cole

• Members

New tube day!!!
:lol:
Got a JAN Philips 12AT7 for the PI of my GH100L, Holy {censored}ing {censored}, made a huge difference on the amp's tone, it
tamed the highs a bit and added a lot of clarity to the gain.
Definitely recommend all Laney users to give this a shot.

AT7 in the PI does this on pretty much every amp I've ever tried it on.

• Members

Those Laneys are even more sensitive than Marshalls to tube swaps. I noticed that with my old VH100R.

Congrats!

I was a fan of the Tung Sol (can't remember the model). The one everyone liked. I too liked the LPS in the PI. Not a great tone tube though, ie V1 or V2. Actually like the 9th Gen Chinese a lot! Shuguang FTW.

• Members

I didn't like it in my PI slot. The Sovtek 12AX7LPS was better. Maybe I should try it again

I agree.. The lps is a great tube.. Even in the 1st slot it sounds great, but they have proven to be microphonic in that spot as well..I'm sure its depending on the amp, but especially with my 5150 combo I need a quiet tube in the 1st slot and at low volume it sounds great, but once I get to rehearsal our even recording volume it starts squealing like a pig.

Concerning a lower output tube in the pi or elsewhere in the preamp, I've never been happy with them for the long term.. The tamed highs you hear initially sound flat later.. And whenever I try it elsewhere in the preamp slots, I actually find it a bit fuzzier when used with high gain.. If yer goal is to cut the gain out of your amp, then sure, but IME just turning the gain down and eq adjustment sounds better than using a lower gain tube.. Ymmv, of course

• Members

Those Laneys are even more sensitive than Marshalls to tube swaps. I noticed that with my old VH100R.

Congrats!

I was a fan of the Tung Sol (can't remember the model). The one everyone liked. I too liked the LPS in the PI. Not a great tone tube though, ie V1 or V2. Actually like the 9th Gen Chinese a lot! Shuguang FTW.

It's true! It's more sensitive with Laney amps. I have all NOS in my amps and I wouldn't go with any production tube other than EI Lite or Sovtek LPS(as a last option).

Hopefully with this experienced it has opened up a whole new world for you guitarbilly? I would highly recommend you check out the JAN/Sylvania 12ax7. It's my favorite of all NOS tubes except for Mullard, but the JAN/Sylvania is close to first with the Mullard.

• Members

I agree.. The lps is a great tube.. Even in the 1st slot it sounds great, but they have proven to be microphonic in that spot as well..I'm sure its depending on the amp, but especially with my 5150 combo I need a quiet tube in the 1st slot and at low volume it sounds great, but once I get to rehearsal our even recording volume it starts squealing like a pig.

Concerning a lower output tube in the pi or elsewhere in the preamp, I've never been happy with them for the long term.. The tamed highs you hear initially sound flat later.. And whenever I try it elsewhere in the preamp slots, I actually find it a bit fuzzier when used with high gain.. If yer goal is to cut the gain out of your amp, then sure, but IME just turning the gain down and eq adjustment sounds better than using a lower gain tube.. Ymmv, of course

it's a different effect from turning down the gain, the gain stays the same at the preamp input stage, but the output to the power amp is lower so the signal going into the power amp is cleaner.

• Members

It's true! It's more sensitive with Laney amps. I have all NOS in my amps and I wouldn't go with any production tube other than EI Lite or Sovtek LPS(as a last option).

Hopefully with this experienced it has opened up a whole new world for you guitarbilly? I would highly recommend you check out the JAN/Sylvania 12ax7. It's my favorite of all NOS tubes except for Mullard, but the JAN/Sylvania is close to first with the Mullard.

yeah I will definitely buy more NOS tubes for the other positions. I have NOS tube GAS now :lol:

• Members

In the DTX a low gain tube in the V1 and V2 slots tame the gain and give me a useable sweep, and opens the amp up..takes away the compression. In the PI I don't recommend it, but the only high gain tube I have is in V3 for the active EQ

Archived