Building My First Rack: Mesa Strategy 400 Speaker Requirements?

rlm297

• Members

What are the speaker requirements for a Mesa Strategy 400 power amp? I've heard that if you're using it in a guitar rig, you need at least two 4x12 cabinets to handle the power.

I want to know if it would be possible to run this setup without issue:

ADA MP-1 Pre Amp

Mesa Strategy 400 Power Amp

Orange 2x12 PPC Closed Back Cab

Would this be possible? I heard the power amp has a deep switch. Can I use that feature without a 15 inch speaker? If I engage it, would it blow out the 12 inch speakers?

Any insight would be great.

• Members

If you plan on running that {censored} at max volumes, which I HIGHLY doubt, youll need a cab that can handle the wattage and has appropriate ohmage. I dunno the ohmage, but that PA is 200 watts? So you need a 200 watt cab. If youre just running at band practice volume at your loudest, you would PROBABLY be ok with less. Im assuming V30s in the 212? So that gives you 120 watts....more than likely, you wont have any issues, but Im crazy anal and would get higher powered speakers just to be safe. I cant see any problems arising from using the deep switch with 212s.

• Members

I've never seen guitar cabs get blown by a big power amp.

Once you get to gigging/band volume, you won't be supplying the full power of that power amp.

If your speakers are operating at the correct volume, they aren't going to magically burn away just because the amp has the "POTENTIAL" to supply more power.

I've run my Fryette 2150 into a pair of 30 watt weber ceramic Blues. It sounded awesome, and it was no problem.

Get whatever power amp sounds good at a price you can afford. That amp will sound EXCELLENT, btw.

It will be a lot of weight to carry around, though.

• Members

Get EVM-12L's and you'll never blow them.

I can tell you that dumping a 100-120 watt amp for all it's worth into one will not even make it flinch unless it's real f'd up, but 180-200 watts I think could kill one. I would want at least one EV12L for every 100-150 watts if you're playing real f'n loud. Mine are over 20 yrs old, have been well exercised, subjected to Florida humidity for most of that time, and still perform flawlessly at high volumes. I play tuned to C#, drop Db, E, drop D, and sometimes open C, so they have to punch out some healthy low-end.

Archived