A bishop describes how the church invented hell to control people

wok

• Members

That seems awfully doubtful to me, that the church just invented heaven and hell as concepts to control people. Which is not to say that I believe every word of any religion, but for pete's sake, who sits around dreaming up ways to philosophically enslave most of mankind for generations to come? The Bible could be significantly mistaken in places, but I don't think some Evil Committee sat down and, rubbing their hands together in glee, agreed to make The Myth that would outlive their own era and keep all of the world's gullible a-groveling. That's just goofy.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That seems awfully doubtful to me, that the church just invented heaven and hell as concepts to control people. Which is not to say that I believe every word of any religion, but for pete's sake, who sits around dreaming up ways to philosophically enslave most of mankind for generations to come? The Bible could be significantly mistaken in places, but I don't think some Evil Committee sat down and, rubbing their hands together in glee, agreed to make The Myth that would outlive their own era and keep all of the world's gullible a-groveling. That's just goofy.

I certainly don't think it was done with malicious intent. However, I think that the creators believed that their religion was correct and the best thing for the people, and wanted to add some extra persuasion to the whole shebang in case anyone should question it.

• Members

ahum, have you ever been to the Vatican and seen how rich the church is? Ever read about the Crusades? And you find it 'doubtful' that the church made up stuff to enslave people? :facepalm:

• Members

ahum, have you ever been to the Vatican and seen how rich the church is? Ever read about the Crusades? And you find it 'doubtful' that the church made up stuff to enslave people?
:facepalm:

Anyone worth their salt that has studied knows clearly the dfoctrine of hell was not created by the Roman Catholic church. Not arguing about hell, just the historical doctrine of it in history.

• Members

Not that this was already obvious and well-known, but:

let the butthurt commence :poke:

My first thought?

That's a {censored}ty website and the kid who posted it looks like he probably looks at pictures of naked teen boys while listening to hipster music.

As for the topic and making this thread?

Third rate trolling at best. You want to see what good trolling looks like go here: http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2905153-Kirk-Hammet-vs.-CeCe-Deville&highlight=CC+deville+vs+Kirk+Hammett

Archived