Building my first guitar...

revoloution9

• Members

So me and my friend are going to build me a pink tele. It will have a ash body, shell pink finish w/ white pg, and maple fretboard. I want it to be a THIN nitro finish (just enough as to not show the grain), probably going to use reranch. I'm getting the neck and body from the hot deals section at Warmoth. I'm going to be using BG pups. Overall it should look like the attached photo.

My question are:

a. How hard will this be for someone who has never built a guitar and has little electronics/ wood working experience.

b. What is the list things I'd need.

• Members

Alright check this out, to answer your questions.

a.) Difficulty level on this I would say would be around a 6 out of 10 for someone with minimal electronics/wood working experience. Now that is being said if you are getting a body that is already routed out with all the cavities and hole drilled. As well as you don't want to put a tremalo or any kind of other 'above basic' hardware or pup and wiring setups.

b.) List of things that you need (minus the tools):

-Body

-Neck

(those you have)

-Tuning pegs

-Pickguard with screws

-2 250k pots

-knobs

-3 way switch

-pickups

-wire

-bridge

-output jack

That is about all I can think of off the top of my head. Now I will tell you that if the neck isn't now completely assembled for you, i.e. fretboard and frets installed and tuning peg holes drilled, I would recomend you going to www.stewmac.com and getting one of thier completely assembled tele necks...

• Members

For tools I think you could get away with a drill (preferably a drill press), a soldering iron, and tools and supplies for finishing (spray cans or a spray gun and compressor for painting and sandpaper and polishing supplies).

Besides the finishing (which reranch has some good info on), it really is a matter of lining everything up, checking it several times, drilling some holes, and screwing it all together.

Some basic soldering skills wouldn't hurt, but you could probably even learn that as you go along. Just make sure to follow a clear wiring diagram.

I'd love to share a few threads that I learned a lot from when I started:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1681716

(especially the HGEC Giveaway Tele build thread)

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1513446&page=3

(scroll down to post #57 for some incredible builds)

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1624785

A great thread that is more realistic for the non-professional wood-worker or finishing expert.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1906960

My own build thread. Unfortunately I haven't gotten around to finishing the second one so I've got no experience with painting / spraying nitro.

If you have any specific questions I'd be glad to offer any help I can (bearing in mind that I've only built one on my own.) There is a wealth of information out there, it just takes time to sift through it and find what you need.

Good luck, and have fun with it!

• Members

The wilkerson easy lock tuners suck. Get standard fender tuners with the split shaft where you stick the end of the string in and you'll be much happier. The easy lock are a pain in the butt to get strings wound on the flat posts properly and get the proper tension over the nut. Also you have list pricing for all those items and would be paying way too much for alot of that stuff. If you dig around you can save at least $200 or more easily. The pre wired assy is a ripoff. The switch plates are $5. The two pots and a switch are maybe $15. You're paying $58

You also have 2 necks listed, Bridge sadels but no bridge.

I would do some Ebay shopping for all the small stuff. I built my last tele for about $60. Built the body myself and scored on a new neck for $20.

Keep this in mind you can buy an affinity Tele for $170. The bodies are excelent and the necks and pups arent that bad either. Maybe spend $100 and replace the neck and another $20 for a through body bridge. Maybe even change the pups and have a top dog to play for alot less than what you got listed there. if you change the neck you can save it for another project or sell it to get some money back.

• Members

The wilkerson easy lock tuners suck. Get standard fender tuners with the split shaft where you stick the end of the string in and you'll be much happier. The easy lock are a pain in the butt to get strings wound on the flat posts properly and get the proper tension over the nut. Also you have list pricing for all those items and would be paying way too much for alot of that stuff. If you dig around you can save at least $200 or more easily. The pre wired assy is a ripoff. The switch plates are $5. The two pots and a switch are maybe $15. You're paying $58

You also have 2 necks listed, Bridge sadels but no bridge.

I would do some Ebay shopping for all the small stuff. I built my last tele for about $60. Built the body myself and scored on a new neck for $20.

Keep this in mind you can buy an affinity Tele for $170. The bodies are excelent and the necks and pups arent that bad either. Maybe spend $100 and replace the neck and another $20 for a through body bridge. Maybe even change the pups and have a top dog to play for alot less than what you got listed there. if you change the neck you can save it for another project or sell it to get some money back.

You're probably right but I want to make sure I do it right, this will be my #1 and only electric for a long time :idk: This is what I've decided on for the look:

• Members

I think you're referring to the wilkinson tele bridge with compensated brass saddles? That's good stuff. You don't need to drill string holes thru the body with that setup. If you want to later, you still have that option. Does the warmoth neck have a nut installed? That is a little tricky & maybe should be done by a pro. You can use old strings or even fishing line at #1 & #6 strings to get your bridge & neck lined up. Put the strings on line up your neck & bridge, drill needed holes & your done. Nut should be the last thing

Archived