NAD: Splawn QR B+ Option (low voltage)

stompboxfreak72

• Members
love.gifThis is my 4th Splawn. I still own three of them. I sold my 2009 Quickrod as I just could not jive with that amp. Well, this is round 2 with the QR. This is the low voltage B+ option that Scott has just released as an option. It runs at lower voltage ( think variac/EVH) so it is spongier and more forgiving. It also is not as powerful. My understanding is that it kicks out about 80 watts.

First......teh obligatory pics. These were on the Splawn FB site so I just shanked them as they are way better than what I was going to come up with.....

598980_403732286365479_2036388298_n.jpg
559559_558438477505790_1288056682_n.jpg
536390_558438834172421_1230215089_n.jpg
417021_558439257505712_2088676583_n.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by stompboxfreak72 View Post
love.gifThis is my 4th Splawn. I still own three of them. I sold my 2009 Quickrod as I just could not jive with that amp. Well, this is round 2 with the QR. This is the low voltage B+ option that Scott has just released as an option. It runs at lower voltage ( think variac/EVH) so it is spongier and more forgiving. It also is not as powerful. My understanding is that it kicks out about 80 watts.

First......teh obligatory pics. These were on the Splawn FB site so I just shanked them as they are way better than what I was going to come up with.....

598980_403732286365479_2036388298_n.jpg
559559_558438477505790_1288056682_n.jpg
536390_558438834172421_1230215089_n.jpg
417021_558439257505712_2088676583_n.jpg
Congrats!!! I am really anxious to hear some clips. Looks fantastic though. A QR is VERY high on my gas list ... as in spot #1!!!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by ShaneV2 View Post
Awesome! Really thinking of selling some of my other amps and getting a lo sag to go with my regular quickrod. What do you think of it so far?
I wish I had a current production QR to A/B it to. All I can compare it to is my 2009 QR. The 2012 has more gain and the mids are a bit tamer to my ears. I used to like gear 3 on my 2009 but on this one I cannot get off of gear 1 now. Hit this thing with a Ts9 ( gain 0/volume dimed) and it is the most organic Marshall style tone I have gotten to play.
Its still a QR and sounds like a QR but it has a bit less stiffer feel than what I recall about the 2009 QR. I just put everything at noon and the treble turned off and slam it with a TS9 and the tones are awesome. It can definetly do modern rock tones with I could not coax out of my 2009. I would not choose this amp to play metal on but thats only b/c I have a few Nitros and like them better for that style.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by stompboxfreak72 View Post
I wish I had a current production QR to A/B it to. All I can compare it to is my 2009 QR. The 2012 has more gain and the mids are a bit tamer to my ears. I used to like gear 3 on my 2009 but on this one I cannot get off of gear 1 now. Hit this thing with a Ts9 ( gain 0/volume dimed) and it is the most organic Marshall style tone I have gotten to play.
Its still a QR and sounds like a QR but it has a bit less stiffer feel than what I recall about the 2009 QR. I just put everything at noon and the treble turned off and slam it with a TS9 and the tones are awesome. It can definetly do modern rock tones with I could not coax out of my 2009. I would not choose this amp to play metal on but thats only b/c I have a few Nitros and like them better for that style.
Well ... let us please define metal. I call it Maiden, Priest, OLD Metallica, you get the point. I am guessing the QR would do those just fine?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by JerEvil

View Post

Well ... let us please define metal. I call it Maiden, Priest, OLD Metallica, you get the point. I am guessing the QR would do those just fine?

Yes Sir.....it will rip the {censored} out of the good stuff you listed which is what I dig. If you hear it on Sirius Ozzy's Boneyard then the QR will do it.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by stompboxfreak72

View Post

Yes Sir.....it will rip the {censored} out of the good stuff you listed which is what I dig. If you hear it on Sirius Ozzy's Boneyard then the QR will do it.

See THAT'S what I'm talking about. I have really gravitated to a much more classic guitar sound as opposed to an overly bottom heavy modern type sound. Just not my style at all anymore. I remember when I got my Fireball 60 a few years ago, I thought my tone quest ended.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by JerEvil

View Post

The QR is so good for that stuff. It's tight as hell for fast gallops and stuff, but it still has a classic voicing to it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Blackie08 View Post
CLIPZ NAO!!!!!!!love.gif

I have really bad GAS for one of these new QR with the B+ option. Extremely bad GAS.love.giflove.gif
I wont get clips up until this weekend. Sorry bro !

I honestly dont know if I am loving the amp because of the changes that have occurred since 2009 or if its the lower voltage option or a combination of both. All I can say is that I am so happy I took the Egnater Armageddon back to GC and bought this instead.

Archived