Replacement 6 Screw Tremolos...

colejustesen

• Members

So I got a Yamaha Pacifica 512 that has a 6 screw vintage style tremolo and was looking to upgrade it. I replaced the brass saddles with some stainless steel ones, which gave it some extra zing... Though, I think I would like to replace the tremolo to something newer [since this was made in 1990]...

I was looking at the following trems:

Super-Vee BladeRunner
Full Contact Hardware Strat replacement

I also came across the Callaham bridge, but I think I like the looks of the two listed above better. I have a Full Contact Hardware bridge for my Tele knockoff, and it really is awesome! the saddles are great, and you can lock them into place after you intonate the guitar.

These both seem to be very well made... I am not sure off the top of my head what the FCH bridge is made of [The Tele bridge plate is aluminum] or what the block is made of. The BladeRunner is made of steel, with an aluminum block.

Have any of you tried either one of these tremolos? What is the consensus on them? I am also very interested in the Super-Vee Mag-Lok [this looks great!] which I would use with either tremolo...

Cole

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by atrox View Post
As a builder, I can't say enough good things about Callaham pieces. Best Strat Bridges out there. period.
They really seem expensive for what they are... What is it about them that makes them so good? How do they compare to a traditional Fender vintage tremolo?

I see everywhere that people love them, but I would love to hear from the perspective of a luthier!

Cole

• Members

I have a totally non-sensical aversion to six screw vintage strat trems.

I was brainwashed right around 12 years old, "strat trem = out of tune POS"

I still feel that way for some reason, even though I use lots of quirky trems; bigsby, Jaguar, VS100, Floyd, etc.

Maybe, it's because the lowest end plywood axes all came with stratty looking trems.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by colejustesen View Post
They really seem expensive for what they are... What is it about them that makes them so good? How do they compare to a traditional Fender vintage tremolo?

I see everywhere that people love them, but I would love to hear from the perspective of a luthier!

Cole
No cast parts. All stainless steel quality parts (even the screws are high quality, which is rare in guitar parts). Exact tolerances. A company that actually gives a shit.

The Fender bridges are nice, but they suffer from some variances from piece to piece and their blocks are still fairly weenie in comparison. I have had great luck with just replacing blocks with Callaham Blocks. Their block has a great design that prevents the trem wobble too.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Gary666 View Post
i have one of these, the brass block if fucking huge, good buy for the money

http://www.guitarfetish.com/105mm-Bl...CK_p_1159.html
I originally looked at the version with the modern saddles and the brass block, but I wondered how good the product was. I have gotten a few things from Guitar Fetish, and for the most part they have been decent but not outstanding. I didn't know [at the time] that I wanted to take a chance on the Guitar Fetish piece or just invest that cost into a well known/liked bridge. I also wondered if I would gain any benefit of getting a similar style bridge from the current one that is on my guitar. I honestly have no idea what my current bridge is made of [though the block appears to be steel] as I can't find any information on this guitar in general. I own its bigger brother [a Pacifica 912] as well and that bridge is made of steel, with a brass block.

I definitely want to get a brass block. I liked the result I got when I switched out the stock block of my OFR equipped guitar!

Thanks for the suggestion! The price of that turns my head...

Cole

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Cougar Hunter View Post
I have a totally non-sensical aversion to six screw vintage strat trems.

I was brainwashed right around 12 years old, "strat trem = out of tune POS"

I still feel that way for some reason, even though I use lots of quirky trems; bigsby, Jaguar, VS100, Floyd, etc.

Maybe, it's because the lowest end plywood axes all came with stratty looking trems.
I can actually set up a 6 screw to stay in tune better than a pivot. My Gilmour Strat is the only Strat trem i own that actually does stay in tune perfectly. That is not to say that I cant set up the two post trem just as well, but not as constantly.

• Members
I can actually set up a 6 screw to stay in tune better than a pivot. My Gilmour Strat is the only Strat trem i own that actually does stay in tune perfectly. That is not to say that I cant set up the two post trem just as well, but not as constantly.
It is funny because I felt the same way about 6 screw trems too. Then after I got it I found that it does stay in tune better for me, than compared to the 2 point pivot trem I have on the 912.

It really has changed my opinion on trems, after owning this guitar!

Cole

• Members

I should say that the main reason I am interested in the BladeRunner is because of the spring they use between where teh bridge mounts and the the main plate of the tremolo. The concept makes sense to me, as well as the concep of the FCH making more contact points to transfer string vibrations for sustain.

Damn claims! They affect my judgement on what a solid bridge would be!

Cole

• Members
It is funny because I felt the same way about 6 screw trems too. Then after I got it I found that it does stay in tune better for me, than compared to the 2 point pivot trem I have on the 912.

It really has changed my opinion on trems, after owning this guitar!

Cole
A lot of the misconception about 6 screws stems from people over-tightening the screws and just not having the general knowledge to set one up. I have also found that just leaving the outer two screws in and removing the rest completely, can easily fix "sticking" trems. Plus you dont have to baby a 6 screw trem. Those edges on the pivot trems are pussies. You nick that edge and you have a useless trem.

• Members
A lot of the misconception about 6 screws stems from people over-tightening the screws and just not having the general knowledge to set one up. I have also found that just leaving the outer two screws in and removing the rest completely, can easily fix "sticking" trems. Plus you dont have to baby a 6 screw trem. Those edges on the pivot trems are pussies. You nick that edge and you have a useless trem.
That's what metal files are for. thumb.gif

(from an owner of way too many Ibanez Edge tremolos)

• Members

That is what I liked about the Super-Vee trem... It seems like you could tighten down the posts to make it solid, but still get the action of a knife edge 2-point tremolo. Whereas the traditional six screw trems have to have all the screws at just the right tension; which isn't hard, but the design of the Super-Vee seems to simplify the setup.

Cole

• Members
That is what I liked about the Super-Vee trem... It seems like you could tighten down the posts to make it solid, but still get the action of a knife edge 2-point tremolo. Whereas the traditional six screw trems have to have all the screws at just the right tension; which isn't hard, but the design of the Super-Vee seems to simplify the setup.

Cole
I have never used or seen one, but the concept does seem interesting. I'm curious about them now.

• Members
I have never used or seen one, but the concept does seem interesting. I'm curious about them now.
It made me curious too. They seem to be well made, and I have also read that Eric Johnson has at least one [the double locking version] on one of his guitars. If he endorses it, then it must be solid...

Cole

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by LIBBY! View Post
Invest in a good trem, I learned a lot building a few strats from parts. I'd say it's the most important piece on the guitar....
I also feel that buying good hardware is essential for the playability of an isntrument. I honestly don't know whether the tremolo on my guitar is "good" or not... When this guitar was made in 1990, the retail price was $499, so I doubt that it is an example of an awesome tremolo. It stays in tune well, but I think that it could be better. I feel this particular guitar deserves the appropriate components to make it really shine. The guitar is a phenomenal player, just the components need to be upgraded to make this a killer guitar!

What trem did you use when you built your Strats?

Cole

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by draelyc View Post
I'mma big fan of these:

Wilkinson_Gotoh_VSVG_Vintage_Tremolo_sm.
I looked at the Gotoh 510 stuff, but come to find out that I can't find the narrow string spacing needed for my guitar. These seem to be a retrofit for the US spacing. My string spacing is the 2-1/16"

I have heard the Gotoh bridges are awesome though!

Cole

• Members
What trem did you use when you built your Strats?

Cole
Started with Fender Vintage USA, added Callaham parts (steel block, screws), added Raw Vintage stuff (springs, saddles). Assembled the guitars, may have rebuilt the bridge a few times, tweeking things as I went. I got lucky with bridges a few times, I was able to buy stuff here and TGP. Sometimes I ordered stuff that didn't stay too long, other times I though the axe sounded good with the stuff I bought.

I'm not a dive bomber, so I don't worry about tuning stability too much, more concerned with feel and tone..

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by LIBBY! View Post
Started with Fender Vintage USA, added Callaham parts (steel block, screws), added Raw Vintage stuff (springs, saddles). Assembled the guitars, may have rebuilt the bridge a few times, tweeking things as I went. I got lucky with bridges a few times, I was able to buy stuff here and TGP. Sometimes I ordered stuff that didn't stay too long, other times I though the axe sounded good with the stuff I bought.

I'm not a dive bomber, so I don't worry about tuning stability too much, more concerned with feel and tone..
I am not a dive bomber by any means as well... However, nothing makes me more crazy than barely using a trem and then having my guitar go out of tune. I know that it is a mixture of a great tremolo, an appropriately cut nut, and locking tuners/string winding technique.

Thanks for the feedback... I was looking for the BladeRunner [used] but I cannot find a thing! That says a lot to me...

Cole

• Members
I looked at the Gotoh 510 stuff, but come to find out that I can't find the narrow string spacing needed for my guitar. These seem to be a retrofit for the US spacing. My string spacing is the 2-1/16"

I have heard the Gotoh bridges are awesome though!

Cole
Aaaahh, I didn't even think about the spacing, braugh. 'Pologies. But yeah, My Wilkinson/Gotohs (I just replaced the nickel one with a black on on my Hamer Mirage) rival double-locking units ~ good stuff. thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by draelyc View Post
Aaaahh, I didn't even think about the spacing, braugh. 'Pologies. But yeah, My Wilkinson/Gotohs (I just replaced the nickel one with a black on on my Hamer Mirage) rival double-locking units ~ good stuff. thumb.gif
No worries! I have played some of the Wilkinson/Gotoh models and they are super smooth. I didn't get to mess with them other than just testing out the guitar with them stock. They look like a good design! I also really liked the looks of the Schaller Tremolo 2000 and Vintage Tremolo, but they only come in the wider spacing too.

Cole

• Members

I'm a big fan of the Callaham tremolo. Yeah they are expensive for a traditional strat trem but I've upgraded a few guitars with them in the past and they were a major improvement in terms of tone and stability. They are not trying to reinvent the wheel, they're just building the best possible quality strat trems and boy do they ever deliver on their promise...

Archived