Brown spots on Mesa PCB, wut do?

esizer

• Members

Ok, so I popped open my Studio .22+ combo because my preamp tubes looked a little out of socket. I had also just read that the studio series had some problems with heat so I decided to give it a look and I noticed that where the tube sockets are mounted to the PCB, the PCB was browned. Is this a sign that things are going south or is that normal wear (it is almost 23 years old...and the sockets are mounted to the board)? Pics are below.

Thanks!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by midnightlaundry

View Post

No help, but I suspect resistors since they're tube sockets nearby. What's on the other side?

It seems to be browned only around where the power tube sockets are...mostly. The other cable that looks a little funny at the end of the lead is either coming in or going out to the reverb unit.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

I wouldn't worry too much about it if the amp is working fine. I mean, it's an old amp, so this kind of stuff is normal at this point. Resolder the socket if it makes you feel better about it, but again I wouldn't worry about it.

This was kind of the way I was leaning...Thanks Billy! I just wanted to make sure I wasn't headed the way of other studio .22's I've heard about with heat related problems.

• Members

It's normal, but I see a lot of questionable solder areas. Look closely at the solder joints especially where tube sockets are mounted. If you see rings (fractured solder) around those connections, they are going to be a problem in the future. Eventually they will crack completely and that connection will be a problem. It would not hurt to resolder those areas and other areas where high heat/current components (higher power resistors) are mounted to the board.

Most of those cracks are from heat and vibration, physical shock from transporting.

• Members

As long as the joints are holding up, there isn't a reason for concern. My Marks are approaching the 27 year old mark and none of my boards look like that, so I'm assuming that the issue is the proximity of the power tubes to the board. Mesa uses some if the most robust PCBs out there, so some discoloration is most likely a non issue, but if it worsens (which I would assume might happen if the amp is run for hours and hours on end), have MB take a look at it.

On a side note, Mesa's customer service has been top notch (if you can actually speak to them), but just expect some attitude from Marcus if you ask too many questions.

Archived