Just stumbled upon about 1000 old RCA and GE tubes

Soundstorm

• Members

There's an OLD electronics shop here in town, I came by to buy some resistors and just happened to ask if they carried vacuum tubes. He said he had an attic full and now I'm up here and they're all original NOS GE and RCA. I'm looking for the ones relevant to guitar amps, but I'm not recognizing a lot of the names.

I know the 12ax7s weren't all called that back then, but 7025's are about the same if I'm not mistaken. What are some NOS tube types relevant to guitar amps? I feel giddy just sifting through all these boxes, lol.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Phrophus

View Post

Damn, that's on the way to my new house. I need to swing in and see what's up.

Yes you do! lolz

Quote Originally Posted by Soundstorm

View Post

Man I couldn't find anything relevant to amps but there are a lot of variants. Huge variety, maybe several thousand boxes.

Well that's a bummer frown.gif did you glance through all of em?

• Members

12ax7 - 7025

12at7

12au7

6ca7 - American EL34

6L6 - you'll find these with different letter codes in both glass envelopes and metal envelopes

6BQ5 - American EL84

EL84

KT 66/77/88

The above are the common amp tubes. There are a number of others that were used in Magnatone/National/Valco and other vintage amps that I don't remember at the moment. Hopefully someone with a fresher memory or a handy reference guide will chime with some of these others.

• Members

I think I'm gonna try to swing by there at some point in the near future, and I'll try to bring a list of whatever you guys mention that would be useful. Ain't gonna be this weekend though. Maybe next week.

It's soundstorm's find though, so if he wants to give it a shot, that's cool with me.

• Members

5881's (Mil Spec 6L6's)?

6550's?

IIRC, the infamous "{censored}ing {censored}er" was built with 'oddball' tubes from old television sets and the like. Send a case of them to sah5150 along with some high grade 'shrooms or acid and see what kind of perverse monstrosity he unveils at the next NAMM show...

Archived