JCM800 and modded rat full sone (Les Paul via g12t-75's)

thefyn

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by codecontra

View Post

Sounds pretty sweet. You've got a sick drummer to boot.

The drums are a real drummer, but triggering samples. I buy grooves performed by drummers and try and tweak it to sound real. The samples are steven slate drums 4 platinum.

• Members

A Rat into a Marshall is always a good choice thumb.gif. I used to favor the Rat with a NMV Marshall that didnt have an added master volume mod. I like the way it blends & the way you can use the rat to "attenuate" the amps volume. I liked using an Aphex Big Bottom after the rat to thicken things up a bit.

A Rat / Marshall set up is suprisingly versitile. Godd for several styles of music. thumb.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by 100 watt View Post
A Rat into a Marshall is always a good choice thumb.gif. I used to favor the Rat with a NMV Marshall that didnt have an added master volume mod. I like the way it blends & the way you can use the rat to "attenuate" the amps volume. I liked using an Aphex Big Bottom after the rat to thicken things up a bit.

A Rat / Marshall set up is suprisingly versitile. Godd for several styles of music. thumb.gif
Yep. It works out good for stoner stuff too:

http://soundcloud.com/tock-1/rat

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by thefyn View Post
Yep. It works out good for stoner stuff too:

http://soundcloud.com/tock-1/rat
Yeah. It's great for that too.

If you have access to a cab with Mesa c90's / celestion classic lead 80's, try the rat/ Marshall set up thru that. The C90 / Classic lead 80 is a great speaker for that set up. Always liked g12K85's with a Rat / Marshall set up, as well.

• Members

Sex. My rat has become my favorite thing to play with lately (although mine is going through an ac30)

I feel like I need something plexi/800 eventually, so I can cop an oldschool metal sound if and when I ever decide I need it biggrin.gif

• Members

It's hard to make a Rat sound bad. Just about any flavor Rat, with the Ruetz mod (clipped risitor) can sound great with any amp. The older / original Rats DO sound a little better than the later offerings, but I dont think most people could tell the difference. I wish I still owned my '83 big box, and my '86 small box. The '83 was a bit "bigger" sounding. The '86 had a bit more pubes & was slightly more agressive.

I have a friend who used to use a stock '86 Rat (I later bought it from him) run into an old 70's SS Peavey 2x12 that didnt have a dirty channel, that he had sitting atop an old peavey 8x10 cab . Sounded killer, for no more than it was.

The key is in the filter knob, and your guitars volume knob.

• Members
It's hard to make a Rat sound bad. Just about any flavor Rat, with the Ruetz mod (clipped risitor) can sound great with any amp. The older / original Rats DO sound a little better than the later offerings, but I dont think most people could tell the difference. I wish I still owned my '83 big box, and my '86 small box. The '83 was a bit "bigger" sounding. The '86 had a bit more pubes & was slightly more agressive.

I have a friend who used to use a stock '86 Rat (I later bought it from him) run into an old 70's SS Peavey 2x12 that didnt have a dirty channel, that he had sitting atop an old peavey 8x10 cab . Sounded killer, for no more than it was.

The key is in the filter knob, and your guitars volume knob.
It is really responsive. Just changing attack/technique can make it sounds like another pedal. Love it!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Dolf View Post
Sex. My rat has become my favorite thing to play with lately (although mine is going through an ac30)

I feel like I need something plexi/800 eventually, so I can cop an oldschool metal sound if and when I ever decide I need it biggrin.gif
I think a JCM800 should be mandatory in all households. You should be forced to pay a tax penalty if you refuse to own one.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Yarbicus

View Post

This. And that's a good thing! Does need some sense of dynamics, though.

I can't really cheat that. The bass is DI, the drums are sampled, the guitars are in an iso box, the eq/effects are all software plugins etc.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by thefyn

View Post

I think a JCM800 should be mandatory in all households. You should be forced to pay a tax penalty if you refuse to own one.

Yup. Preferably a 2203. 2204's are nice, as well as the channel switching 800's, but as far as 800's (and the JMP models as well) go, a 100 watter is the only way to fly. Esp w KT88's or 6550's. Get out the soldering iron, and it gets even better ha ha

• Members
Yup. Preferably a 2203. 2204's are nice, as well as the channel switching 800's, but as far as 800's (and the JMP models as well) go, a 100 watter is the only way to fly. Esp w KT88's or 6550's. Get out the soldering iron, and it gets even better ha ha
Your feeding my inferiority complex.

Replace the EL34s' with 6CA7s' in my 2204? Or do I have put 6550s in it?

I can't really bitch either way. The amp was free.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by paul88lx View Post
Your feeding my inferiority complex.

Replace the EL34s' with 6CA7s' in my 2204? Or do I have put 6550s in it?

I can't really bitch either way. The amp was free.
Never heard 6ca7's. I dunno. My broe's 50 watters always sounded better to me when he ran 88's or 6550's . If they had 34's, he'd yank em.

The resonance mod helps a 2204 out too. (simple. puts a capacitor between the purple NFB wire & the impedence selector). Makes it sound a bit bigger.

No need to feel inferior. 50's are great in many ways. I just prefer the headroom of a 100. (I play mainly rythmic stuff).

• Members
Never heard 6ca7's. I dunno. My broe's 50 watters always sounded better to me when he ran 88's or 6550's . If they had 34's, he'd yank em.

The resonance mod helps a 2204 out too. (simple. puts a capacitor between the purple NFB wire & the impedence selector). Makes it sound a bit bigger.

No need to feel inferior. 50's are great in many ways. I just prefer the headroom of a 100. (I play mainly rythmic stuff).
Ha. I definitely don't. I was {censored}ing around. Thanks for the tip though. I'll look it up. I was actually very surprised at the difference when I clipped the bright cap. It was like pulling a blanket off of the amp. Sounds a lot better. Lately I've been trying to see how clean I can get it. Then hit it with pedals and stuff.

One of which is of course, a modded Rat. Love these damn pedals. Especially with a clean boost in front of it.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by paul88lx View Post
Ha. I definitely don't. I was {censored}ing around. Thanks for the tip though. I'll look it up. I was actually very surprised at the difference when I clipped the bright cap. It was like pulling a blanket off of the amp. Sounds a lot better. Lately I've been trying to see how clean I can get it. Then hit it with pedals and stuff.

One of which is of course, a modded Rat. Love these damn pedals. Especially with a clean boost in front of it.
If that's your thing, look into the Aphex Aural Xciter with Big Bottom. It REALLY helps with that. Its NOT a Sonic Maximizer . I use the model intended for bass. It sounds better than the guitar version, when going into the front of the amp. Gives you some punch, & depth, and you can get clarity over your tone. One of those pedals that used sparingly, can make big improvements. Too mach of it sounds like carp. A friend of mine got me using one back around 04 & Ive used one ever since. It's a great pedal for "pedal pushed" amps.

I painted mine & re-labeled it so no one would know what it is. A guy at a show asked what it was & I told him it was a home made OD pedal icon_lol.gif

Archived