Axe-FX + SS power amp: Anyone here doing it?

MattACaster

• Members

Haven't been feeling my Carvin TS100 recently. I love the way my Axe-FX sounds through my Triple Recto's power section but 90% of the time I run stereo.

Was thinking of trying something new and going the SS route to save on some weight. I know those Matrix amps are pretty popular but not sure I want so spend the $$. Was looking at the Carvin DCM series.

Anyone here running a SS power amp with your Axe? What are you using? Do you like it?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74

View Post

One of my friends was using a Axe-FX with a VHT power amp initially but he switched to a SS power amp (Carvin). It definitely sounded better with SS amp to be honest. The Axe really need squeaky clean power to sound its best.

Do you know what he is using?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel

View Post

I have an Alesis RA-100 that I used to use to power some of my rack stuff that I'd be willing to part with very,very cheap, or if you had something to trade.

I appreciate the offer. I actually have the RA150 but it isn't powerful enough to hang with the band. frown.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by HottKarl View Post
What about the SLA-2? Seems like I heard of a few people using those with their Axe.

I have a QSC amp that I used. Plenty load and clean.....worked well enough but I never used the Axe through a tube amp so can't compare.
I was looking that too. A lot of people say it's really dark. I'm not sure if that is a bad thing or not. I was mostly looking at higher-wattage amps (600+) for the clean headroom.

• Members

Run my Axe-II with a Matrix GT1000FX... aside from my favorite amp on the planet the VH-4... this is the most fun and incredible setup I have ever used... just having EVERYTHING in on simple setup is indispensable to me... can run direct to FoH if I want, run stereo through my Marshall cab, or both actually... I've used an Axe with a tube poweramp before, although it was with an Ultra... however I VASTLY prefer this setup with the SS power amp...

Quick pic:
105042C4-F711-4796-A6EA-59963CF47005-111

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mizati20 View Post
Run my Axe-II with a Matrix GT1000FX... aside from my favorite amp on the planet the VH-4... this is the most fun and incredible setup I have ever used... just having EVERYTHING in on simple setup is indispensable to me... can run direct to FoH if I want, run stereo through my Marshall cab, or both actually... I've used an Axe with a tube poweramp before, although it was with an Ultra... however I VASTLY prefer this setup with the SS power amp...

Quick pic:
105042C4-F711-4796-A6EA-59963CF47005-111
Awesome!

I have an Ultra myself. I'll get a 2 at some point though...

• Members

FWIW, the current hipster power amp among the AxeFx fans is the Matrix Amplification GT series of SS amplifiers. A lot of folks claim these are the ultimate Axe power amps (i.e. "I sold my VHT power amp" kind of statements). I've never played one. I am way too happy with my old, oh what the heck, let's call it "vintage", ADA Microtube 200 to bother but those are getting rare and I'm guessing it would be hard to fix if it broke (no schematic, etc). Technically the ADA is a hybrid amp because it has a couple of preamp tubes in the signal path but I think of it as an SS amp.

The Carvin DCM's are popular choices because they are Class AB amps, IIRC, which some people think has a more natural feel. I would probably look at those or the new Rocktron Velocity 300 which has gotten some rave reviews. So if my MT200 ever breaks my order of evaluation will be: Matrix, Rocktron, Carvin. Failing that, an old MOSValve.

In general, the Axe (mine is a gen1, Ultra model) has enough control and the power amp sims are good enough that it does indeed get great tone with SS power.

• Members

Sometimes I use my SLA-2 and other times I use the power section of my Triple Recto for my Axe-FX Standard. I only play at home volumes though redface.gif

I think the ART can sound pretty good and the Axe has so many adjustments you can compensate for any bass/treble differences. The biggest difference I notice is that thump and "jumping out of the speaker" quality is higher with the Recto, but both sound good.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Shask View Post
Sometimes I use my SLA-2 and other times I use the power section of my Triple Recto for my Axe-FX Standard. I only play at home volumes though redface.gif

I think the ART can sound pretty good and the Axe has so many adjustments you can compensate for any bass/treble differences. The biggest difference I notice is that thump and "jumping out of the speaker" quality is higher with the Recto, but both sound good.
Well it is gadamn triple fucking recto icon_lol.gif of course it will thump hard!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Wookieslayer View Post
Well it is gadamn triple fucking recto icon_lol.gif of course it will thump hard!
Well, I keep that amp because it is the most huge sounding amp there is biggrin.gif I cant let it go even though I have an Axe-FX and HD500.

I am just talking in terms of the power amp section....

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by guitarbilly74 View Post
One of my friends was using a Axe-FX with a VHT power amp initially but he switched to a SS power amp (Carvin). It definitely sounded better with SS amp to be honest. The Axe really need squeaky clean power to sound its best.
This, totally. WIth my Axe-FX I like to run it into my tube combo amp and then turn off the cab simulations. Basically, everything sounds great from the Axe-FX without much tweaking as long as you disable the cab simulations (that's where a lot of tweaking is needed). The thing is - and the reason I'm mentioning this - is that my particular amp was specifically engineered to by ultra-clean for the purpose of adding pedals in front of it (it has no drive no matter than volume).

So, I'd say, ya, go ahead and use a nice SS amp, but make sure it's got crystal clear cleans.

• Members

I run my Ultra with a Matrix GT800FX. Used to power an Atomic wedge, now it powers a 2x12 (although for gigs we run the violin into my Ultra's input 2 and use the other side of the Matrix to run that into the Atomic). Haven't had any problems with it, sounds great, weighs fuck all, stays nice 'n' cool, takes up only 1U in the rack. Was considering running maybe a V30 in a little wedge out front to hear myself better without having to rely on shitty monitoring, but that was before we started using that 2nd side of the poweramp. So now I'm considering adding another one to the rack. Suppose I could get the new 3 channel one (not sure if it's actually out yet), but I figure just adding another power amp, then hey, I've got a spare channel for whatever else we decide to run. icon_lol.gif

Archived