MESA Transatlantic TA-30 1x12 or 2x12? or DC-3?

NeverTheMachine

• Members

I'm sick of hauling a Mesa Stiletto ACE Combo for recording and gigs without a house cab.

Love that amp, even though it's a heavy bitch, has no reverb and now that I think of it, I never really liked the clean channel. It goes from an anemic clean on the first two modes to 'crunch' on the 3rd mode that isn't actually clean at all. [/size]

Anyway, I'm looking into the Transatlantic TA-30 and it seems to be a viable option to replace the Stiletto and then some.

I can also probably find a used DC-3 for way cheaper. How would those fare compared to the defunct Stiletto or a new TA-30?

Before I get to try them both out ... Could anyone enlighten on me on the difference between the speaker options and the TA-30 in general?

Do you think it's a good/even better alternative to the Stiletto? Can you suggest something else?

I've been hung up on the EL34 thing for a while and that has prevented me from getting a Stiletto and MESA alt for a while, but now I realize that the tubes don't probably matter as much as the amp circuitry itself. Can't say I've tried much EL84 tubes, besides in a Peavey and Express 5:25.

Sorry for the ramble ....

• Members

The DC-3 is a great amp, specially for clean tones, the DC series are probably my favorite Mesas for cleans. The OD is also great, somewhat like the Mark but with less midrange, maybe in between a Mark and a Recto. DCs are getting hard to find though, I don't see them for sale as much as I used to. But yeah they're great amps.

I have no experience with the TA-30 so I can't comment on it.

Archived