Nubulous DIY question regarding resistor values...

Mike LX-R

• Members

So I'm ordering the components I need for a FF clone. Looking into resistors, madbeanpedals instructions for the build state that you need to following resistors..

R1-100K
R2-33K
R3-220R
R4-470R

My question is, I can't find (on smallbearelec) resistors at any value ending in "R". Can somebody please educate me on this topic... general facts about resistance is welcome thumb.gif

• Members

The "R" signifies "remainder." This stems from the practice of eschewing decimal points and using notation like "3k3" to denote 3.3 kilo-ohms, etc. Historically, this was done because decimal points didn't show up very well on photocopies or on the values themselves. The "R" was used as a placeholder when the dealing with small values to prevent any confusion.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mike LX-R View Post
ok, so when it comes to pots. What do these ending values mean?

1k(B)
500k(A)
(B) depends on the company. With alpha I think it means linear, but with others it could be Audio taper B. With linear taper at noon, a 1M pot would read 500k.

(A) means audio taper, which has a slower onset. Noon on a 1M pot is around 100k. Audio is best for gain, volume, bass, depth. Linear is best for mids, treble, presence.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by SteveiJobzz View Post
Those are the taper. A is Audio, B is linear, and C is reverse audio.

Also, order from Tayda. SUUUUUUPER cheap. Smallbear also doesn't label anything they send you.
On Tayda I can't find 470 OHM resistor. I find 4.7M OHM. Is that the same?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Mike LX-R

View Post

On Tayda I can't find 470 OHM resistor. I find 4.7M OHM. Is that the same?

4.7M = 4.7 mega-ohm = 4,700,000 ohm. I've never bought anything from Tayda but I'm not sure why you just don't buy from Smallbear. They've always been excellent to me. Just real great. I fried a 3PDT switch once (my fault, too) and he took it back and sent me a brand new one.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by metalhobo View Post
It takes three seconds with a DMM to figure out what taper your pot is.

Fuzzface pot will be log taper.
I know how to check the taper of a pot. I was just stating that smallbear won't label ANY components they send you. Resistors and capacitors you can look up the values, but it will take much more time, but things like germanium diodes and LDRs turns into kind of a guessing game.

And smallbear's website is freak.gifconfused.gif to navigate.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by SteveiJobzz

View Post

FWIW I use PedalPartsPlus for enclosures and switches (THE BEST) and jacks and hardware and Tayda for 90% of my passives. I use smallbear for odds and ends (germanium transistors, Vactrols, concentric pots, etc.)

thank you. I'll check out pedalpartsplus. switches, jacks, and hardware are next.

Archived