ever find crazy stuff in used gear?

Y0UNGBL00D

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by satannica

View Post

One was a little grim. You know people use those cotton bud sticks to silence the springs on trem loaded guitars? Well, I found some of them in a used Ibanez I'd bought... except when I was doing the first setup on it, I discovered they had been used... a LONG time ago...

I removed them with tweezers and put the springs in a solution of water and super-nasty-skin-you-alive mould killer.

The other odd thing was I bought a gig-bag off ebay and found letters in there which the seller must have left in it; they were all demands and final demands from debt collection agencies and a couple of statements which painted a rather scary picture. It turned out the gigbag had an unadvertised hole in it, but as it didn't stop it working, figured the seller had way bigger problems.

Quote Originally Posted by linthat22

View Post

My buddy found 2 used ear wax candles in the trem cavity of an old Jackson he bought.

are yall {censored}ers talking about cue tips/cotton swabs? use engrish!

• Members

Q-tip is a brand. One of those brand-name association things like how everyone calls adhesive bandages "Band-aids".

"Cotton bud sticks" made me think you were talking about a tampon at first. The story changes GREATLY with that clarification.

• Members

I bought a toy piano from an antique store. The owner sold it to me really cheap saying it was broken. It seemed like the bars (it was xylophone-like) were ringing nicely, but yeah the keys didnt work.

I took it apart and found that apparently some kid had used it as a piggy bank. It was full of coins jamming up the hammers. I pulled about 9ish dollars out of it, bringing my investment to about 11 bucks. smile.gif

I need to release the samples I have of it as a sample library some day, it has the creepiest little sound.

• Members

Went to a dude's practice space (read: shed) to check out some Mesa head he was selling. Turned out it was an F-50 (which i already have) but it was hooked up to a {censored}ty Crate cab. i decided i'd play it anyway just for {censored}s n gigs. Sounded alright, but when i checked the back of the head, there was a mouse, a mouse nest and a stockpile of pilfered dog food for the mouse to eat. Mentioned it to the dude, who either knew already or just didn't give a {censored}. Then i left.

Not really on topic, but my buddy went to check out a Classic 50 he saw on craigslist. In the middle of the seller's explanation, he just sparks up a bowl and keeps talking. "Yeah, i haven't had it very long *puffpuff* but i really need the cash *puffpuff*..." My buddy gives him the "are you {censored}ing serious?" glare and homeboy says super-calmly "oh {censored}... you're not, like, a cop or anything, right?"

Funny thing about it was my buddy is actually a cop. Seller knocked off $100. Classy.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by thefyn

View Post

...underneath it all were 2 sm57's and an sm58.

Win!

Another win was about 7 years ago, my buddy picked up a JCM 900 head from a kid for $100 because it didn't work. I got there the next day with spare tubes and a bias meter in hand. We popped off the back cover and...huh?...there was a Soldano Hot Mod in one of the preamp sockets. The 6K11 tube in it was fried. We replaced the HM with a 12AX7, re-biased the power tubes, and it ran just fine. He threw the HM on ebay and got $270 for it. Nothing like the feeling of getting a free amp AND cash in your pocket.

• Members

Found an unused G string (the underwear kind) inside the case for a J bass. Still had the store tag on it. Threw it out.

Not super unusual, but made me happy: found $300+ worth of upgraded pickups and tuners in a Squier strat I paid $70 for.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by satannica

View Post

Bloody yanks!

THIS is a cotton bud:

This is a cue tip:

This is a cotton swab:

I think YOU need to use engrish!

if Obama tells you to get him a Q-tip, you going to be a wanker and fetch him a billiards cue? didnt think so, limey. cop.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Y0UNGBL00D

View Post

if obama tells you to get him a Q-tip, you going to be a wanker and fetch him a billiards cue? didnt think so, limey. cop.gif

If Obama tells me to get a q-tip, I'd get both because that would be the most expensive way of dealing with the situation. And hey, if the pres is asking you to get something, you clearly work in government and are well versed in finding the most expensive way to deal with any given situation.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Y0UNGBL00D

View Post

damnit nightflame. there are no pool tables around in my hypothetical request from the king of the free world.

THEN YOU BUY A {censored}ING POOLTABLE! A custom job with slate top and real leather bumpers.

Jesus chrap, dude. Don't you know how government works?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by nightflameauto

View Post

If Obama tells me to get a q-tip, I'd get both because that would be the most expensive way of dealing with the situation. And hey, if the pres is asking you to get something, you clearly work in government and are well versed in finding the most expensive way to deal with any given situation.

so much icon_lol.gif

Archived