How wiggity-wiggity-whack is this idea, y'all?

draelyc

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by draelyc

View Post

What puts me off about that plug in is that, if it plugs into a valve slot, I wouldn't be able to get to it easily whilst playing, especially at a gig. idn_smilie.gif

That one I didn't really look at before ... will do so now. thumb.gif

Ofcourse, you can get a used Electro Harmonix English Muffin for around $110 and up. I love mine. I read a blog by the guy who designed it. Its like a hotrodded Marshall Preamp ina small box.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by 100 watt

View Post

Start with small stuff . Listen to the changes as you go. I still think (the right) pedal sounds better than gobs of gain mods. I tyhink the 1st step in the right direction is a good (lar mar) master volume mod, and finding the right tubes you like.

Right on. thumb.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Kardula

View Post

here I was thinking you were about to.

Mayhap I is, and mayhap I ain't ... redface.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Slunderfungus

View Post

Ofcourse, you can get a used Electro Harmonix English Muffin for around $110 and up. I love mine. I read a blog by the guy who designed it. Its like a hotrodded Marshall Preamp ina small box.

I wanna try one of those. I have 2 hot rodded plexis.

I've been using an AMT Tube Magnum with my plexis, and my Randall RG100ES . Ive got a 90's (US) Ibanez Tube King I use sometimes, but the AMT sounds the best.

"real tube" pedals catch alot of hate, but I've found them to be usefull. Especially when helping to reduce volume. Both my plexi's did have added master volumes, but I removed the master from my Metro Superbass plexi (need to replace the pot).

Even with a NMV amp that has a Master volume mod, I still like to attenuate volume with the pedal a bit. Especially if Im playing "tighter" metal kinda stuff. With my hot rodded 1959, I dont really have to, but it does kinda add to the flavor.

I also like the old Mesa Boogie Vtwin & the Mesa Boogie bottle rocket.

• Members

I've tried literally hundreds of distortion boxes with this plexi & the two I had before. My favorites to this day are

1) Metal Muff - Still on my pedalboard

2) Tonebone - London Bones

3) Tonebone - Hot British

I can't recommend the Metal muff enough thumb.gif But you must eq it very differently than you think & never ever use the "top boost" under any circumstances

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Fiscal

View Post

Sounds like you want a Speedtwin. cop.gif

D'oh! icon_lol.gif

Kidding aside, I got the Plexi back today & hooked it up. Instantaneous realization that I was galactically stupid to consider letting it go. Second realization is that the only mod I'll be having done is a master volume. This thing is so amazing with pedals that it doesn't matter whether I'm gonna run it clean or crunching. A couple different dirt pedals for different flavors of boost will be far more useful & versatile than a gain boost mod would be. Third realization is that I'm a Marshall fanboi. Fourth one is that I are sloe. facepalm.gif

As I said, I prolly should just hold off on thinking ~ seems no good will come of it... tongue.gif

Archived