Ed Roman almost had a reality show

Caulk Rocket

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by jnurp

View Post

LOL who the hell is Ronnie North? i have never heard of him in my life and he looks like a typical 50 year old LA douche still trying to be rock n roll.

Apparently it's Ronny North(I looked him up).

From his myspace: "He has also managed to play and record with a few other big name players as well such as Rikki Rocket, Gary Hoey,Keri Kellie,Eric Singer, CC Deville". Additionally, he's endorsed by like, 200 guitar/rocker related products...my favorite of which is "Manglaze nail polish for men" biggrin.gif

I'm no homophobe, but I personally think I'd refuse an endorsement by anything named "manglaze"...

• Members

"I build the best guitars in the world..."

I'm going to keep the name of the Luthier confidential, but the guy who works on my guitars is world-famous and is the "go to guy" for many top players across the globe. So when he tells me one of THE.WORST.NECKS.EVER! that he came across in his shop was a custom-built Strat neck from Ed Roman, I have to icon_lol.gif over the "I build the best guitars in the world..." quote.

Yeah yeah...two sides to every story. But who you gonna believe? A 60-year industry veteran with sought-after skills, or a Las Vegas shyster looking for the next "screw?" idn_smilie.gif

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by BerkleeBill

View Post

"I build the best guitars in the world..."

I'm going to keep the name of the Luthier confidential, but the guy who works on my guitars is world-famous and is the "go to guy" for many top players across the globe. So when he tells me one of THE.WORST.NECKS.EVER! that he came across in his shop was a custom-built Strat neck from Ed Roman, I have to icon_lol.gif over the "I build the best guitars in the world..." quote.

Yeah yeah...two sides to every story. But who you gonna believe? A 60-year industry veteran with sought-after skills, or a Las Vegas shyster looking for the next "screw?" idn_smilie.gif

I believe most of us would believe you Bill, his asshattery is well-documented. icon_lol.gif

We had a guy from the Rapture'd GW forums tell us a story involving suing Ed Roman about a custom order BC Rich Warlock. I wish that forum was still running, that story will make you guys absolutely looking like this: freak.gificon_lol.giffacepalm.gif

• Members

Ed rules!

I spent lots of time in his shop in Danbury CT back in the 90's, dude did have a lot of amazing guitars in stock then. He was a troll, he treated people like {censored}, he suffered no tire kickers, idiots. I was in line one day, buying strings and he was on the phone lambasting a "customer" quite loudly.

He seemed to be OK with me, I always made it plain to him that I was broke, could not afford the PRS's that he was just starting to push big time. He would always let me check out guitars, playing many really cool pieces that I could not have afforded at the time. He had some really early PRS Signatures and Artists, as well as prototypes or stuff PRS sent them, I played one of the first PRS Dragons at Ed's.

I was always after a flametop Les Paul, and at the time there was no Historic Series, or custom shop. Ed always told me that Gibsons sucked (he was right about that in some ways), and PRS was getting it right. I had one of those Strat Deluxes at the time (they just came out and were pretty hot. Roller nut, Lace Sensor pickups). I got it for $400 off some local dude who didn't know what he had, it was worth more. I got a decent bonus at work, so I had some cash in hand, I grabbed my strat and went up to Ed's to see if I could wrangle a used Les Paul for my bonus cash and my strat. Long story short, he gave me an amazing trade in value for the strat ($750), knocked $200 of the price of a 94 PRS CE24. I plunked down $300 in cash and got a sweet axe for a great price. Played that axe out for many years. The strat I traded hung on his wall forever, which he reminded me every time I went in after, I got one over on him!

Ed got out of that store for a bit, was selling stuff out of his wacky space station looking house for a while before relocating out to Vegas. I remember when his daughter was born, she was always in the store...

He lost me when I heard about the BC Rich stuff, and the retopped Les Paul stuff he was starting to do. He turned on PRS too, stopped carrying their stuff, posted those rants on his website.

I think what made Ed who Ed was was that he did not give a crap about pissing people off (industry people). I think he was wealthy by marriage or inheritance, so he got away with it

I know a lot of people who came to Ed later in his life rant and rave about him, but he really didn't treat me all that badly.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by bjcarl

View Post

Somehow, you failed to convince me with the rest of your post biggrin.gif

LOL, just saying he wasn't terrible to ME.

We were hanging out at Tuxedo Junction in Danbury one night, was a decent club that got cool acts from time to time. Forgot who was playing, but it was some washed up rocker from the 80's. Ed comes storming in the front door, right past the two goons collecting for the door. It was a $5 cover, Ed was having none of it. Dude goes on a flat out nuclear rant about "how he built Danbury" and how "he owned the town" and he never pays for anything in town. In the middle of it all, he sees me out of the corner of his eye, and turns and winks at us, then returns to full on rant mode, classic Ed! I think he knew that it was all just a schtick, it was kinda funny to see him like this...

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by JBTubehead

View Post

I remember asking PRS at a NAMM show what he thought about Ed Roman. He said, "I don't have enough time to tell you. NAMM ends on Sunday."

lol...I always thought it was funny that PRS tries to sell you his guitar based on it's own merits, Roman tried to sell you a guitar by bashing everyone else's.

• Members

"He was a troll, he treated people like {censored}"

That's pretty much what I hear from everyone who has ever dealt with the guy. I mean, he was truly a character. I am sure ALL of us got some chuckles over the years over his antics. And for what it's worth, he did have some street cred, at least back in the 80's when he was rubbing elbows with all the top guitarists. BUT... being a constant dick is never going to work out in the long run.

Archived