Help getting rid of signal noise when using single coils and dirt pedals

TU BE

• Members

Ok, I know everybody says, "hey that's just something you gotta live with when using single coils" but I've seen several (professional) live acts using a telecaster with some dirt pedal and I don't hear all the hissing that I am getting when doing it. I have an ISP decimator pedal and it works ok but I prefer leaving it off whenever possible.

How are these guys doing it? I mean they are not getting this noise. I have seen and heard it with my own eyes and ears. Is there some secret I don't know about? I don't run my OD pedals incredibly high on the drive knobs either.

Basically, I am using a Fender Super Sonic 22 combo set to medium gain tones and using either an RC Booster or Barber Super Sport for some extra bite when needed (solos etc.)

So I have high quality OD pedals. I also use a one spot with the daisy chain. I am thinking that this may be contributing to some of the noise. Should each OD pedal be run on their own power supply? Would getting a voodoo lab pedal power or something similar help? I need to power 10 pedals on my board.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

IB4 just use humbuckers tongue.gif

• Members

the "trick" is to turn the volume off when you are not playing. When you are playing, the guitar sound should cover up the hiss. Also good shielding, quality cables and power suppliers help. Get rid of the one-spot and get a proper, isolated power supply, like the Pedal Power. I've never had an issue with excessive hiss and single coils.

• Members

Billy, thanks for the advice bro. I do turn my guitar volume down when not playing (of course) but can still hear the OD pedal hissing even when doing so.

I'm thinking a good power supply like the voodoo lab one may do the trick. I also admit to not buying expensive cables. I usually buy the cheaper ones because of the cost difference. Maybe it's time to change that. Good cables are so damn expensive!!! mad.gif

• Members

Billy, thanks for the advice bro. I do turn my guitar volume down when not playing (of course) but can still hear the OD pedal hissing even when doing so.

I'm thinking a good power supply like the voodoo lab one may do the trick. I also admit to not buying expensive cables. I usually buy the cheaper ones because of the cost difference. Maybe it's time to change that. Good cables are so damn expensive!!! mad.gif

• Members

You can also mod the guitar by lining the pickup wells with copper foil and star-grounding stuff to significantly reduce hum. Here is a fairly involved set of instructions for doing the project on a strat:

http://www.guitarnuts.com/wiring/shielding/shield3.php

I've heard that simply installing the copper foil is going to get you 70-80% of the way there, so doing all the wiring mods is probably overkill.

Archived