Anyone else interested in synths here besides Lewp?

nakedzen

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Rey Gato View Post
I have a mint Korg M3 that I play around with. It's old (1990?) but the M3 was a huge step forward in synth technology, and still sounds fantastic.
I've fiddled around with the Korg 'software' M1 VST. It's a mindbending device. You could spend two months really, learning how to build all the voices it can do. A lot of those Korg voices showed up in movie and TV soundtracks with only minor tweaking.

Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven View Post
Any analog synth lovers should do themselves a favor and buy a little plugin called Diva. Also, have a beefy computer to run it on. It makes hardware synths obsolete.
Impressive. What are you using as a live-performance host ?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by OverDriven View Post
Any analog synth lovers should do themselves a favor and buy a little plugin called Diva. Also, have a beefy computer to run it on. It makes hardware synths obsolete.
I bet it won't make this badboy obsolete. I have a few of the Moog softsynth packages...they are cool, but no substitute for actual knobs and and buttons you can manipulate on the fly.

I also have a Yamaha SY-99 & SY-77 and a Kurzweil PC88mx controller.

MS2000.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by nakedzen View Post
A gem I came across:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5HRa9nEVVU

RIP. He sure was a nice fellow looking at this documentary.

Rip Bob Moog. frown.gif

Dude was a sweetheart. He handled a lot of Sweetwater's dealer business personally when he was alive, and came here a bit. He was always super nice to everyone, and would stay around all day. In retrospect, I wish I would have spent more time picking his brain, like most of my coworkers did. icon_lol.gif

Also....definitely a guilty synth geek here. Moreso than guitars at times in my life lol. List of good ol hardware synths I've owned is pretty crazy:

Roland Juno60
Roland Juno106
Roland RS09
Roland Super JX
Roland D50

Crumar Bit One

Casio CZ101
Casio CZ1000

Korg Trinity
Korg Oasis 88 (2)
Korg MS2000
Korg M3-73Expanded

Ensoniq ASR10
Ensoniq EPS16+
Ensoniq ESQ

EMU XL1 Lead

Kurzweil K2000
Kurzweil K2500
Kurzweil SP88X
Kurzweil PC2X

Yamaha MotifES6
Yamaha AN1X

Access Virus B
Access Virus C

Sequential Circuits Prophet 610

Novation Nova
Novation XStation
Novation Supernova XL

M Audio Venom

Moog Source
Moog Taurus
Moog Voyager

Lol... That's all I can think of. I still have the Supernova, K2500, and Venom. I became a bit of a software junkie in the past few years, and use the NI/Arturia/Papen stuff alot.

• Members

I love 'em, but I've never bought one. A buddy of mine has a Nord of some sort that was always a blast. His Roland Fantom was fun as hell too.

I did have an Arp Odyssey in my possession for a couple of months, but it needed some fixin.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by LoopQuantum View Post
Rip Bob Moog. frown.gif

Dude was a sweetheart. He handled a lot of Sweetwater's dealer business personally when he was alive, and came here a bit. He was always super nice to everyone, and would stay around all day. In retrospect, I wish I would have spent more time picking his brain, like most of my coworkers did. icon_lol.gif

Also....definitely a guilty synth geek here. Moreso than guitars at times in my life lol. List of good ol hardware synths I've owned is pretty crazy:

Roland Juno60
Roland Juno106
Roland RS09
Roland Super JX
Roland D50

Crumar Bit One

Casio CZ101
Casio CZ1000

Korg Trinity
Korg Oasis 88 (2)
Korg MS2000
Korg M3-73Expanded

Ensoniq ASR10
Ensoniq EPS16+
Ensoniq ESQ

EMU XL1 Lead

Kurzweil K2000
Kurzweil K2500
Kurzweil SP88X
Kurzweil PC2X

Yamaha MotifES6
Yamaha AN1X

Access Virus B
Access Virus C

Sequential Circuits Prophet 610

Novation Nova
Novation XStation
Novation Supernova XL

M Audio Venom

Moog Source
Moog Taurus
Moog Voyager

Lol... That's all I can think of. I still have the Supernova, K2500, and Venom. I became a bit of a software junkie in the past few years, and use the NI/Arturia/Papen stuff alot.
i'm dizzy confused.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mike LX-R View Post
i'm dizzy confused.gif
LOL.

I'm a huge fan of ambient/triphop, and used to play keys in an almost well known industrial band lol. We played with Combichrist, StaticX, Otep, Mushroomhead, Genitorturers, Hanzyl und Gretyl, etc...So yeah, I went crazy for a while. icon_lol.gif

Sad thing is, I have a friend here in town who's current collection eclipses everything I've ever owned. eek.gif

EDIT: A lulzy pic of me with the Mainstage rig, when we opened for Rickets, years ago... icon_lol.gif

4678_1151582115817_1075841_n.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Reverse Entropy View Post
Impressive. What are you using as a live-performance host ?
I don't use it live (which may be what you're getting at), but that's not a problem. The knobs are easily mapped to knobs on a MIDI controller and you can use it live if you want. A modern laptop with a portable interface should work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Andersonology View Post
I bet it won't make this badboy obsolete. I have a few of the Moog softsynth packages...they are cool, but no substitute for actual knobs and and buttons you can manipulate on the fly.
Hardware synths are awesome, but Diva is the first software I've heard that makes me feel like sound wise there isn't an advantage of hardware over software. It's really impressive. If you want to manipulate the parameters live, just map the virtual knobs to MIDI knobs and you're good to go. I use it for recording though.

Still, I understand that like amps, hardware synths have a cool factor that can't be beat.

Archived