Is this advisable?

amt7565

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by JKD

View Post

On a related note...how long does everyone leave an amp to warm up..?

I usually turn mine on, check the tuning on my guitar (2-5 minutes) and then go for it.....seems OK to me.

I usually wait about 30 seconds.

As for leaving it in standby, I don't think it matters.

I've read about tubes in stuff like old broadcasting equipment that have ran continuously for 10,000+ hours.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by JKD

View Post

On a related note...how long does everyone leave an amp to warm up..?

I usually turn mine on, check the tuning on my guitar (2-5 minutes) and then go for it.....seems OK to me.

I usually wait about 30 seconds.

As for leaving it in standby, I don't think it matters.

I've read about tubes in stuff like old broadcasting equipment that have ran continuously for 10,000+ hours.

• Members

It really depends on the amp.

Some standby circuits don't disconnect the high voltage DC, some just mute the signal to the power amp, and some like the AC30 circuit you shouldn't use the standby at all, as it puts a large strain on the rectifier.

Really, you can't wait like 30 seconds for your amp to warm up?

• Members

It really depends on the amp.

Some standby circuits don't disconnect the high voltage DC, some just mute the signal to the power amp, and some like the AC30 circuit you shouldn't use the standby at all, as it puts a large strain on the rectifier.

Really, you can't wait like 30 seconds for your amp to warm up?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by KCTigerChief

View Post

I don't really let it warm up at all intentionally. I turn the amp on, strap the guitar on, get it plugged in and then turn off standby...No reason to change it either.

Same here. Just turn it on while I'm getting the rest of my stuff ready and by the time I'm finished, it's well warmed up.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by KCTigerChief

View Post

I don't really let it warm up at all intentionally. I turn the amp on, strap the guitar on, get it plugged in and then turn off standby...No reason to change it either.

Same here. Just turn it on while I'm getting the rest of my stuff ready and by the time I'm finished, it's well warmed up.

• Members

I like to turn mine on then strum a chord and listen to it come to life. A tube amp is the only kind that will do that so I just like doing it. I'll flip it to standby when I'm not playing, swapping speakers, swapping guitars, etc...

• Members

I like to turn mine on then strum a chord and listen to it come to life. A tube amp is the only kind that will do that so I just like doing it. I'll flip it to standby when I'm not playing, swapping speakers, swapping guitars, etc...

Archived