Cover band dudes: do you have the same level of ambition you do with original bands?

CaViTaTioN

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by HKSblade1

View Post

Originality is what it is. So you are more prone to be concerned with accuracy etc. Originality is what sets you apart from others music or guys in cover bands. Otoh your style of play is easier to accommodate as players and vocally. Cover bands (better ones) have to accommodate so much more in genre, playing and vocal ability. Cover bands have longer nights with many sets. Original bands generally share a bill and pick an hour's worth (1 set) of material to play.

Cover bands is just a party band most of the time. All patrons except one or two musicians in the back of the room with their arms folded will give two {censored}s about how you "accurately" cover a song or accurately play a solo..

I never cared (more laid back approach) most of the time in any of my cover bands. The more you were as entertainers and players is what mattered most. Sounding like the cd or original material you are covering doesn't. I hate bands like that. Most bands like that have no "entertainment value" unless they are a tribute band.

Are you a Dream Theater cover band or Progressive original band? If so, yes it will matter more. Your audience will expect accuracy since the style is known for it.

I read this and about spit my drink all over my monitor. We do disco funk and retro stuff, so about as far removed from DReam Theater as you can get lol!

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by HKSblade1

View Post

Originality is what it is. So you are more prone to be concerned with accuracy etc. Originality is what sets you apart from others music or guys in cover bands. Otoh your style of play is easier to accommodate as players and vocally. Cover bands (better ones) have to accommodate so much more in genre, playing and vocal ability. Cover bands have longer nights with many sets. Original bands generally share a bill and pick an hour's worth (1 set) of material to play.

Cover bands is just a party band most of the time. All patrons except one or two musicians in the back of the room with their arms folded will give two {censored}s about how you "accurately" cover a song or accurately play a solo..

I never cared (more laid back approach) most of the time in any of my cover bands. The more you were as entertainers and players is what mattered most. Sounding like the cd or original material you are covering doesn't. I hate bands like that. Most bands like that have no "entertainment value" unless they are a tribute band.

Are you a Dream Theater cover band or Progressive original band? If so, yes it will matter more. Your audience will expect accuracy since the style is known for it.

I read this and about spit my drink all over my monitor. We do disco funk and retro stuff, so about as far removed from DReam Theater as you can get lol!

• Members

I think you have to pick and choose your battles. Theres nothing wrong with making sure songs sound right, especially when doing covers. Like SexPanther said, if your drummer does his fills differently than AVH in your cover of "Jaimes Crying" I don't think people will care as much as your singer injecting a 5 minute acapella interlude in the middle of a Bon Jovi tune....

• Members

I think you have to pick and choose your battles. Theres nothing wrong with making sure songs sound right, especially when doing covers. Like SexPanther said, if your drummer does his fills differently than AVH in your cover of "Jaimes Crying" I don't think people will care as much as your singer injecting a 5 minute acapella interlude in the middle of a Bon Jovi tune....

• Members

For a cover band, there's something better than perfection. It's excellence with a side of real enthusiasm. Usually leads to enjoyment. A lot of e's.

If getting a song perfect starts to take away from the enthusiasm, you're probably not far from diminshing returns. And one gig is better than five practices.

• Members

For a cover band, there's something better than perfection. It's excellence with a side of real enthusiasm. Usually leads to enjoyment. A lot of e's.

If getting a song perfect starts to take away from the enthusiasm, you're probably not far from diminshing returns. And one gig is better than five practices.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by timrocker

View Post

True!

Band I was in wanted our guys wanted to do nothing but cover the material exactly. Worked their asses off. We ran sets with maybe a guitar change or two that took less than 30 sec in the middle of the set. Time to say tip the barmaids etc. We played like that for a year or so. May as well have had a {censored}ing dj.

I quit that group and moved on with guys more enthusiastic about entertainment. We invite people up to the stage, we do birthday songs, tell jokes, small stories about band members or families, stupid {censored}. We got to know our following by name. We change up from the original version right in the middle of some songs at times to get the crowd participation. Went from 15-17 songs a set with 10 minute breaks down to 10-12 songs per set. We also added an unplugged set after our first or second set (depends on what venue mgt wants). Great for chicks. All of us play acoustic. One guy plays ukulele or harmonica on some tunes. I play 12 string and our drummer plays a small set of bongos.

The new band with entertainment value being top priority does well. We get booked often and on many good venue rotations. We have a mailing list with well over 2000 signed up and through media outlets they are contacted for each gig 10 days in advance. No problem getting 10 percent of that following to gigs. That makes the bars money. Our following likes bar food too. We contract for 4 fig's and earn a 10 percent over the club's take on food products served.

The former band is still doing their thing and not as often. They are down to the cd as far as rehearsed and never change up. They don't engage the crowds much at all. For me, that band was tight as ever but {censored}ing boring and anal retentive.

• Members

in my last cover band we kept it simple... firstly play in time and in tune, duh right lol. The next step up for us was to do the following things:

1) Make sure and play those little parts that stand out in a song, I spent lots of time working out keyboard, horn and synth parts because in some songs without those parts the song misses something... but that doesn't hold true to all songs/parts so listen and evaluate.

2) While solos in some songs can be subbed out and just jammed/improvised, most cannot so try and play the solo as true to the original as possible, you'd be surprised how many people would notice the different solo or that "something was different" about how you played the song... and come on, some solos are just EPIC, you can't improvise over Hotel California or Stairway to Heaven..

3) If the song uses a particular effect... use it, this is where having the Line6 M9 really paid for itself, we were playing REMs What's the Frequency Kenneth and I had to play the tremolo part, but I didn't have a trem pedal so M9 to the rescue, dialed it in used it for the next few gigs then when the song came out of rotation the Trem got replaced with another effect...

4) Avoid dead air. To do this we would work transitions from song to song, try and string on average 2-3 song together maybe more depending on songs and vibe we were going for.

As for being too anal and having your OCD take over, I've always found that if you're not nailing something after the first 3-4 tries move on, have everyone do their home work and try again another night.

Archived