Hey computer/IT guys, I have a question for you.

soilent

• Members

Alright, so this is kind of random, but I've read all over the internet that if you have a HDD or flash drive formatted to FAT32 it won't let you transfer a file larger than 4GB. Now, I know this to be true because I've been trying to transfer some large .MKV files and it never let me. However, for some reason I was just now able to transfer three .MP4 files well over 4 gigs a piece. The sizes were 4.25, 4.25 and 4.29 gigs for each one. What's up with that? Does it have something to do with them being .MP4? If I remember correctly, I tried to transfer a 4.13GB .MKV file about a week ago and it said it was too large. Any one know what the deal is? Just curious.

I'm running a 2011 MBP with OSX 10.8.2 and transferring files to a FAT32 formatted PNY 64GB flash drive just FYI.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by NeloAngelo View Post
no, you need to reformat your external storage to exfat, noob.
if you used windows you would use ntfs.

or use ntfs if apple os can write to ntfs now.
That was kind of a joke, but anyway, the reason I'm asking all of this is because I'm trying to play movies through the USB port on my new Panasonic Viera TV. I could do ExFat, but I'm pretty sure the TV only reads FAT32. If I was just formatting for file size I'd probably go with the Mac Extended format though.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by NeloAngelo View Post
no, you need to reformat your external storage to exfat, noob.
if you used windows you would use ntfs.

or use ntfs if apple os can write to ntfs now.
That was kind of a joke, but anyway, the reason I'm asking all of this is because I'm trying to play movies through the USB port on my new Panasonic Viera TV. I could do ExFat, but I'm pretty sure the TV only reads FAT32. If I was just formatting for file size I'd probably go with the Mac Extended format though.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by LynchProtoge View Post
Why is it we have a forum full of IT geeks & yet this forum still stumbles along everyday? Is there a reason the mgt team refuses to let any of you know it all's help tweak this joint??
I doubt they're willing to pay their own IT guys, let alone a bunch of random dudes.

I'm pretty sure the problem is money; the forum has grown past the limits of their servers, bandwidth, or both.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by LynchProtoge View Post
Why is it we have a forum full of IT geeks & yet this forum still stumbles along everyday? Is there a reason the mgt team refuses to let any of you know it all's help tweak this joint??
I doubt they're willing to pay their own IT guys, let alone a bunch of random dudes.

I'm pretty sure the problem is money; the forum has grown past the limits of their servers, bandwidth, or both.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mogwix View Post

Surely some of you kind folks would offer your services for free? Or are you suggesting its beyond talent and more a matter of needed hardware upgrades that they wont pay for?

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mogwix View Post

Surely some of you kind folks would offer your services for free? Or are you suggesting its beyond talent and more a matter of needed hardware upgrades that they wont pay for?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by LynchProtoge

View Post

they won't listen to us. and services have been offered.

• Members

View Post

they won't listen to us. and services have been offered.

• Members

View Post

It's a basic matter of ROI. This forum doesn't make them much money, so they aren't willing to invest much into it. I'm guessing this thing is running on ancient hardware.

• Members

View Post

It's a basic matter of ROI. This forum doesn't make them much money, so they aren't willing to invest much into it. I'm guessing this thing is running on ancient hardware.

Archived