Clean vs not so clean

GriffontheRock

• Members

Hey guys gotta question. I have not been able to figure out how to get the output of my amp, GenzBenz El Diablo, to be roughly the same if I switch from the hot channel to the clean channel. Is there some special setting I'm missing here? I even tried turning the volume on the clean preamp side all the way up and it still waasn't close to the output once I went to the hot channel.

Any recommendations will be appreciated except buy a new amp. lol

• Members

When you turn the volume of a tube amp up, it gets louder and at some point the power amp tubes distort.  The same thing happens when you turn the preamp gain up - the preamp tubes amplify the signal until they distort and, like the power amp, they will be putting out a stronger signal when they are distorting than when they are clean.  If the amp volume is set to 10 and it amplifies the preamp signal by say, 10 times, the louder the signal coming out of the preamp the louder the overall volume will be.

I don't know what controls your amp has (e.g. does the clean channel have a gain control? is there a volume control for each channel or a master volume?) but if you can I'd suggest playing with the clean volume and clean gain controls.  adding more gain will give the power amp a louder signal to amplify.  at some point your clean channel preamp will begin to distort so you'll have to compromise how distorted you can stand vs how loud you need it to be.

Hope this helps.

• Members

Actually, I just checked the instruction manual for you amp.  It looks pretty flexible with a volume control for each channel plus a master volume.  Try getting the clean volume to be as loud as you need using the clean gain, clean volume and master volume knobs then set the dirty channel volume to be as loud as the clean channel.

Archived