The Rivera Lounge - Welcome in!

Dave L

• Members

..I want something with smooth hi gain distortion, not death metal gain but enough to have balls and sustain.

Ferd,

As much of a EL34 fan as I am, I would have to concur with those who chimed in about going with 6L6's vs. EL34's (based on the description of the tone you're looking for).

I've played through a 6L6 version of the KHR 100 many moons ago at a Summer NAMM not long after Rivera released the KHR's, and it was 10x ballsier and fatter-sounding than my EL34 model.

So my recommendation would be to start saving your beans for a 6L6-based Rivera famous for the kind of "heavy riffing" that you desire--e.g., the KHR 100 or Tr

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I just got a KR7 via a trade. I was very worried based on the video that Rivera has demonstrating the amp, but in reality, its quite a beast. So far I think I like a lot more than the K Tre I had awhile back. There's not much info on this amp other that what Rivera has, but its pretty wild.

Anyway, I am planning on getting one of those Zoom Q3 recorders and should hopefully be able to create some decent sounding vids with this amp. It seems very much overlooked in terms of high gain channel switchers.

• Members

look forward to those clips man, I just purchased a KR7 myself but will not have it for a few days. Will it get good brutz? Does it need to be boosted?

Yes, it will get the brutz. The video they have on the Rivera site is SOOOOO misleading, IMO.

Boosted? Not for me, but I never use a boost. I can see with the K Tre how, at lower volumes, it was a bit flubby and unfocused and how a boost might suck some low end out but the KR7 doesn't seem to have that issue. I tossed my G Major in the loop, and at very reasonable volumes I can get super heavy sustained tones in both drive channels.

The issue I have so far with the KR7 is that, as you know, it shares EQ between the high gain channels. Both channels can be dialed in to KILL, but (and this is reminiscent of Mesa Rectifiers to me) the Red (3rd) channel really needs to have the treble and midrange backed off to sound right. The Yellow (2nd) channel needs quite a bit of both...so, there's an issue if you want to toggle back and forth. Of course I haven't had the chance to really play this thing loud, or with my band, so maybe that issue is mitigated with volume and band mix.

Like the K Tre, the KR7 is LOUD. I mean - it goes from off to non-home friendly volume with not much in between. It was necessary for me to use something in the loop to lessen the master's sensitivity, but its works very well that way.

And, for the record, I don't really give a {censored} about Slipknot or Mick Thompson. However, I've heard some of their most recent album, and I am always intrigued by the thought of an amp that can be very heavy with a crushing low end that ALSO has that somewhat gooey tone for leads. Those qualities sometimes seem mutually exclusive. Anyway, I have a Herbert too, and I'd put this thing up against a Herbert in terms of heaviness and ease of lead playing. The Headmaster kicks all sorts of ass too!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey all!

I use as my main amp, the EGnater Mod 50 head with mostly Marshall type modules and one Fender and Mesa module each.

I love this amp, but they all still have a distinct Egnater sound. I love that about them but times I like having something different but I can't be spending thousands on another amp!

I prefer amps that are NOT high gain monsters as in Rectifiers, etc. I used to go down that road, but these days I'd rather have a JCM 800/Plexi type tone and for leads, hit it with a TS pedal. I like things like the Bogner SHiva if I was looking at newer higher gain amps.

But, I am considering some lower cost options in the Marshall toned area. I was thinking am old Rivera K-55 and was also looking at a VHT 50/ST. I tend to like well made made, solid amps that do not needs mods. I also prefer 50 watt heads and smaller box heads.

I do like thick, warm, sweet tones even for hard rock. My band plays hard rock but I love classic rock, blues and straight up rock as well.

Does the K-55 have two switchable channels? Effects loop?

Anyone have clips, etc?

Thanks all!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I've got old K55.

I think if you like Marshall sound, just get a Marshall.

I'm using Marshall 6100, it's little muddy(little sloppy bass response), there is too much "noise","sizzle" in high frequencies, but I still like it ( maybe it isn't so bad as it looks, I am picky).

You can get nice light-crunch tones on 2nd channel (A) mode, with very nice dynamic response. This mode won't hurt your ears with ice-picky sounds, it's very well balanced, a bit creamy tone. 1st channel delivers nice clean tones(ppl say it's the best clean marshall tone).

3rd channel - a little flubby, harmonic-less, it sounds original, I set my gain low because it's a bit too compressed (but still not compressed like some nu-metal amps). I haven't tried a legend - jcm800 - but maybe it would be good with OD ...?

If it comes to OLD KH55, I haven't tested clean tones yet, but i could tell you sth about crunch channel + Rivera has faster bass response but it's too warm (no well-defined crushing lows). It sounds good but there is no character in this sound ( that's why I like marshall CRUNCH :)).

Anyway, I've tested my rivera on H&K cab, probably loaded with greenbacks. Marshall Valvestate sounded better(with 1 cons: it was very 1-dimensional, but notes were much better defined and there was really good low-end).

Maybe rivera has too much bass and speakers couldn't handle it and it sounded just OK, I don't know, I'm going to test Rivera and my 6100 on my V30 cab in next month.

Oh and I've tested it with TS-9 silver plate(quite old, japan). I can tell you that there is definitelly better improvement on Marshall if you use TS-9, on Rivera - not so much. (maybe because my 6100 is not so warm like rivera, so it sounds good with warm OD).

• Members

wior, be sure not to use the same settings on your Marshall on the Rivera. The response of the eq's are much different so you have to think a little differently dialing in Rivera's sometimes. A little bit goes a long way so maybe turn the bass down a bit.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Members

:poke:

Well, if the M-series responds to preamp tubes like the K and TBR series do, I would recommend Tung-Sols for V1 and V2. Gets a really snappy tone with lots of harmonics and overtones, and isn

Archived