tube amp or modeling amp

gardo

• Members

Hey guys!

Im doing a dissertation on Amp Modelling, therefore I have created a questionnaire/listening test. If you guys could spend a few minutes of your time completing it you will be helping me out massively. Also, make sure you read the instructions before completing the test as there are audio files you need to download to use whilst doing the test. (this is not a virus by the way)

Survey link: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/ZCRRZWJ

Cheers guys.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

why not both?

for home I have a VirboChamp XD that has tubes and modeling and it sounds great!

I keep it on the champ mode, with slapback delay on 3.5, crank the gain to 8 and use my volume on the guitar

to get more or less distortion.

Its actually pretty loud cranked too. "only" 5 watts (lol)

the superChamp xd (same amp, just a little different) even has a sag mode so that it feels like a tube amp working hard.

best $100 I ever spent.

• Members

I have used both modelers and tube amps. Onstage, and in the studio. For me, the modeler was useful when I was playing covers and could have several sounds available throughout the night. Clean Fender, tweed fender, distorted tweed fender, chimey vox, even saturated dumble-esque sounds. To have all of that available with just one two-space rack, running direct to the PA with some guitar in the monitors, that was easy and fun.

Now I'm using a modified tweed deluxe, and a couple pedals. I don't need as much variety, and it works great. But I'm toying with going back to the modeler just because it's so easy to transport, setup, teardown, and hear.

If you get a sound that makes you happy, and makes you WANT to play, it doesn't matter how you get it.

Archived