Traynor YCS-50. I really like this thing.

GCDEF

• Members

If I was going to run something like a Dual Rectifier head (set at 50Watts) into my YCS50 combo's cab, how would I go about it without blowing something up? :o

Do I plug the YCS50's cab into the Dual Recto's 4ohm or 8ohm jack? Sorry for the noob question. Never owned an amp head before. Played combos all my life and I don't have a proper cab at the moment. :cop:

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
If I was going to run something like a Dual Rectifier head (set at 50Watts) into my YCS50 combo's cab, how would I go about it without blowing something up?
:o

Do I plug the YCS50's cab into the Dual Recto's 4ohm or 8ohm jack? Sorry for the noob question. Never owned an amp head before. Played combos all my life and I don't have a proper cab at the moment.
:cop:

Thanks
:cool:

No expert here :) but if your gonna use just the speaker out of your Traynor Combo, all you need to do is get a 1/4 extension cable w/ one female end and unplugged the speaker cable behind the amp. plug your ext cable into the speaker cable and run into the recto head (you don't need to turn on the traynor btw) Speaker's Ohms are printed at the back of the speaker. it should be 8ohm.

• Members
No expert here
:)
but if your gonna use just the speaker out of your Traynor Combo, all you need to do is get a 1/4 extension cable w/ one female end and unplugged the speaker cable behind the amp. plug your ext cable into the speaker cable and run into the recto head (you don't need to turn on the traynor btw) Speaker's Ohms are printed at the back of the speaker. it should be 8ohm.

Not sure I read that right but I wouldn't do that.... take the plug from speaker out of the Traynor and plug into Recto head. The speaker is rated for 60Watts.

• Members
Not sure I read that right but I wouldn't do that.... take the plug from speaker out of the Traynor and plug into Recto head. The speaker is rated for 60Watts.

haha that clears it up thanks. :) How are you liking your YCS50 these days? Reading through the thread, I noticed a lot of people raving about them and then they end up selling theirs a few months later. :D I still love mine and will keep it forever. Although, after 2 years, I want a different flavor and I like that low mid recto thing, so I'm going to get one in a few months.

• Members

Dr. Stringz: I've only had my YCS50 head for a few months but I love it! I ordered it after reading all the good reviews here and have no buyers remorse. I've seen a few people here who have sold them and moved on, but it's just to try something new/different, not because it's a bad amp. I plan on keeping mine for quite a while as it's pretty versatile.

• Members
haha that clears it up thanks.
:)
How are you liking your YCS50 these days? Reading through the thread, I noticed a lot of people raving about them and then they end up selling theirs a few months later.
:D
I still love mine and will keep it forever. Although, after 2 years, I want a different flavor and I like that low mid recto thing, so I'm going to get one in a few months.

Still enjoying the sounds... I have been playing with overdriving it... or whatever, turning up the master and playing on clean channel with brit switch on or off. Mine breaks up very sweetly this way with humbuckers. Haven't had much time to play though... been trying to take care of 5 different houses. Should have more time soon though and hopefully I can make a clip of how mine is sounding.

• Members
Dr. Stringz: I've only have my YCS50 head for a few months but I love it! I ordered it after reading all the good reviews here and have no buyers remorse.
I've seen a few people here who have sold them and moved on, but it's just to try something new/different, not because it's a bad amp.
I plan on keeping mine for a long time.

I might be one of those :confused: I don't have much time to play 2 amps..
I'm saving some funds for me Axe FX.. I'll probably sell mine sooner or later. I had it for over a year did not even get to crank it :( mine still looks new!!

• Members

My play time is limited also, so I only get to crank my Traynor to the sweet spot at band practice a couple times a month. It plays good at low home levels too, but it shines with the MV over the half way point and volume knob at 4 or more. I'm looking for a smaller amp to play more at home or small band jams; how are you liking your Tweaker Zhorellski? I'm looking at the Tweaker or the new Vox AC15 for for a grab and go sort of amp.

• Members
My play time is limited also, so I only get to crank my Traynor to the sweet spot at band practice a couple times a month. It plays good at low home levels too, but it shines with the MV over the half way point and volume knob at 4 or more. I'm looking for a smaller amp to play more at home or small band jams; how are you liking your Tweaker Zhorellski? I'm looking at the Tweaker or the new Vox AC15 for for a grab and go sort of amp.

The Tweaker is probably one of the deciding reason to sell my traynor. it's got a lot of sounds. sounds better on my 4x10 cab than the unbroken v30 on the traynor, though it does not have enough gain like traynor but it takes pedals better than ycs50 does.. Plus it's small and I heard it's fixed bias ;)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Is there a way to switch from the clean to the brit setting on channel two using an ABY or midi footswitch on the YCS50? I really like using the brit gain but it would be awesome to use the clean, brit and channel two using a footswitch. Just wondered if anyone else has looked into this.

Thanks,
Lance

• Members
I might be one of those
:confused:
I don't have much time to play 2 amps..

I'm saving some funds for me Axe FX.. I'll probably sell mine sooner or later. I had it for over a year did not even get to crank it
:(
mine still looks new!!

Pm me when you sell it.

Also, anyone try the Traynor ycs50 cabs? How are they?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Also, anyone try the Traynor ycs50 cabs? How are they?

The YCS412VA?

I just got mine and so far it's been great! It's pretty much a beefed up Marshall 1960 in my opinion. It has a metal grill underneath the fabric for durability. It is HEAVY though!

YCS50H-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

If anyone is interested, I am selling my Traynor YCS50.

I purchased it a few months ago, and it's seen about 5 hours of light use.

It's in pristine, A-stock, like-new condition.

I'm looking for $550 plus shipping.

Here is the tread:
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2651219

Send me a message if you are interested. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Glad to hear your reverb tank is fixed. I usually play with some verb but lately have been enjoying the tones without it. Not sure if you would know them but I like the tones that Sloan gets on their recordings so I've been dialing in a tone similar to that... just makes me happy hehe

This is quite a bit later than your post, but the reverb just stopped working on my YCS90 combo. It was actually just that the cable was bad right at the red RCA plug going to the reverb tank. I just went to radio Shack & got a few new RCA plugs and replaced the bad one. The reverb sounds better than ever.

It's just a problem waithing to happen. The tank is wrapped in vinyl and this causes the protruding RCA plugs to get bent at a pretty hard angle. Over time the connection goes. It's only between a 20min-1/2 hour job, and a couple bucks in parts to fix. Beats the heck out of sending the amp in for service.

• Members

This is quite a bit later than your post, but the reverb just stopped working on my YCS90 combo. It was actually just that the cable was bad right at the red RCA plug going to the reverb tank. I just went to radio Shack & got a few new RCA plugs and replaced the bad one. The reverb sounds better than ever.

It's just a problem waithing to happen. The tank is wrapped in vinyl and this causes the protruding RCA plugs to get bent at a pretty hard angle. Over time the connection goes. It's only between a 20min-1/2 hour job, and a couple bucks in parts to fix. Beats the heck out of sending the amp in for service.

I've had my reverb cut out on me as well. Thanks for the advice. Seems to be one of the only design flaws with this amp.

• Members

Hmm... I may look at replacing mine.. in fact I just put a good rca cable away earlier.. :idea:

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I'm pretty new here, and a bit of a tube noob. I got a YCS50 about a month ago and basically, I'm in love :love:

Of course, I do love improving tone and I think that the clean channel could do much better. I haven't swapped any tubes yet, but right now I'm pretty sure I'll go with Tung-Sol 5881s, and a Tung-Sol 12AX7 fo the PI V3. Anyone have any ideas about the V1 and V2 preamp tubes? I was wondering if a Tung-Sol would be good in the V2 as well. I'd like an opinion about the V1 (no NOS please). I'm currently debating between a Svetlana and the EH (I'm favouring the Svetlana).

Have I mentioned how amazing this thread is? It's almost like a website dedicated to the YCS line by itself :)

• Members

Has anyone experienced much noise from these amps?

My YCS-50 combo has been noticeably noisy lately. At first I thought I was getting more noise due to a recent switch from a Les Paul with humbuckers to a single coil Tele. However, yesterday I plugged in with another guitar and the noise was still there. Thinking it could be the cable I unplugged completely from the amp and the noise is still there with nothing plugged in.

Like I said I swear I remember this amp being (very) quiet. Could it be tubes? something else?

• Members

Has anyone experienced much noise from these amps?

My YCS-50 combo has been noticeably noisy lately. At first I thought I was getting more noise due to a recent switch from a Les Paul with humbuckers to a single coil Tele. However, yesterday I plugged in with another guitar and the noise was still there. Thinking it could be the cable I unplugged completely from the amp and the noise is still there with nothing plugged in.

Like I said I swear I remember this amp being (very) quiet. Could it be tubes? something else?

I'd try preamp tubes first.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived