Traynor YCS-50. I really like this thing.

GCDEF

• Members

Help Please! I've been trying to determine if I have problem with my YCS50H. I posted a awhile back on this thread about experiencing a volume drop on the clean channel when switching from USA to Brit. I've noticed it to be more pronouced when the gain is set at 75% or more.

It would be a huge help if someone could test this scenario on their YCS50/H/90 for me and see if they experience the same situation. Simply , turn the clean gain up 75%-100% and set the volume/master volume levels to an average level, engage the USA mode, hit your favorite chord and then push the Brit button and see if your amp volume drops significantly when you are on Channel 2 (clean).

If no one else has this condition with theirs I'm going to continue to try and get it serviced under warranty. I have communicated with Traynor/Yorkville and they have been responsive but I don't want to have to ship it to them unless I'm certain this is a problem and not just a byproduct of the way the amp is designed.

Any help is greatly appreciated..

My YCS50H does the same thing, and I'm pretty sure it's normal because of what that switch actually does. Moving the tone stack after the first gain stage is going going to give more pre-amp distortion and less volume.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My YCS50H does the same thing, and I'm pretty sure it's normal because of what that switch actually does. Moving the tone stack after the first gain stage is going going to give more pre-amp distortion and less volume.

Thank you both for confirming this for me. I wasn't positive I really had a problem but wanted to be sure so I could get it serviced under warranty if necessary. On stage running the amp full out I really noticed the difference between USA/Brit and it is somewhat of a nuisance because I can't just reach back and hit Brit or USA without having to re-adjust my volume levels to balance it out.

• Members

I've had this amp for just over a year now and can say I still love it. Besides the break-in period and the honeymoon, I forgot about Amp-101: positioning.:idea: Over the last year I've had the amp sitting on a table 2 feet off the ground. I just sold an old head, and since I did not have a cab to test it, I used the YCS50 speaker. To test, I unhooked the speaker cable (1/4" male cable from amp) and plugged it into the output on the marshall head. To accomodate this set-up, I put the Traynor on the ground with the head on top. I sold the head, and then plugged the speaker back into the Traynor while it was on the ground...Wow...the amp instantly took on a darker, heavy tone. The palm muted lows really chugged along. I was able to dial in tons of tones for this amp, but never expected to be pleasantly surprised by a new tone a year later.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I solved the sustain issues I had with mine. The master volume was set pretty low, as I was cranking the channel volume instead. I've now reversed the two. Such an obvious error. :facepalm: After all this time, I guess I just got too comfortable and didn't want to mess with what I had thought was a "proven" setting.

I've also engaged the presence and resonance controls for the first time in probably a year. Found a really fantastic sweet spot. The amp is sounding better and better with each new (re)discovery.

I've had this amp for just over a year now and can say I still love it. Besides the break-in period and the honeymoon, I forgot about Amp-101: positioning.
:idea:
Over the last year I've had the amp sitting on a table 2 feet off the ground. I just sold an old head, and since I did not have a cab to test it, I used the YCS50 speaker. To test, I unhooked the speaker cable (1/4" male cable from amp) and plugged it into the output on the marshall head. To accomodate this set-up, I put the Traynor on the ground with the head on top. I sold the head, and then plugged the speaker back into the Traynor while it was on the ground...Wow...the amp instantly took on a darker, heavy tone. The palm muted lows really chugged along. I was able to dial in tons of tones for this amp, but never expected to be pleasantly surprised by a new tone a year later.

Yeah, I was playing some Devin Townsend yesterday and the chugs/palm mutes were glorious. :D I really love this cab.

• Members

Hey everyone, was this thread is still truckin' eh?

About a year ago I got some JJ 6L6's to replace the stockers and some ECC83S's for the V's as well. Loved the tone...but almost too dark. I'm never on chan 1 only use 2 and will dirty it up with gain, etc when needed. Having said that, my 6L6's were red hot the other night right before a gig. I mean, this looked abnormal and the the amp sounded dreadful. It was more just the one tube but I turned it off and luckily brought the Sovtek's as backup for this situation. So, I have no idea what happened. Perhaps it was just their time to go? I'm super super careful with warming the tubes up properly and take care of my equipment as well. I was also in 50W mode so that may have jacked it up just over the top. When switching between 15w and 50w does the amp need to be in standby or off by chance?

So...now I'm in the market for new tubes and am interested in EL34's just for a major tonal difference (and open to other suggestions). I've read this thread a couple times through and have seen that some have installed a capacitor to accept EL34's so they bias higher. Is this necessary? Or can you run them cooler? I'm not too concerned about getting early breakup either. I was thinking of trying Stephan80's setup with the" Electroharmonix 12ax7EH in the v1 spot and a Tung Sol 12ax7 Reissue in the v3 spot. Whatever in the v2 spot..."

Any other suggestions or discoveries of great tone recently by anyone?

Also does the V3 PI slot have to be balanced or can you fire any 12AX7 in there? Sorry for the long-winded post but appreciate any input!

• Members

I had Ruby EL34BSTR's in mine, when I had it. I also added the extra capacitor to allow biasing for EL34's. Man, it sounded great. All that EL34 chewiness, but still had good bottom end. I will say that I thought the clean channel sounded better with 6L6's, but I used the gain channel much more, so that was what I was trying to build on. I miss my Traynor, wish I wouldn't have sold it.

Is anyone selling one, I'd love to get my hands on another?

• Members

Thanks for the speedy response! Is the capacitor an easy task? I am technically inclined but just don't want to mess this puppy up. Do you just have to remove the existing one and solder the new one?

As for the tubes, I'm ready just to by a couple pairs and try things out. That's probably the best way, plus I'll always have backups. Ruby's eh? You've peaked my interest.

Sorry to hear you got rid of yours...I'm still sometimes wishing I got a Vox AC30 or Fender Rev. Deluxe...but these are apples and oranges. Even so, this amp is soooo versatile...the best of both gainy and clean worlds. Prices also went up on Traynor stuff...at least in Canada. Also taking mine in to Traynor on Thursday to get my reverb fixed as it's been not working for a while despite the tank being good. Should be interesting to see the factory! Maybe I'll get a tour!

• Members

Thanks for the speedy response! Is the capacitor an easy task? I am technically inclined but just don't want to mess this puppy up. Do you just have to remove the existing one and solder the new one?

As for the tubes, I'm ready just to by a couple pairs and try things out. That's probably the best way, plus I'll always have backups. Ruby's eh? You've peaked my interest.

Sorry to hear you got rid of yours...I'm still sometimes wishing I got a Vox AC30 or Fender Rev. Deluxe...but these are apples and oranges. Even so, this amp is soooo versatile...the best of both gainy and clean worlds. Prices also went up on Traynor stuff...at least in Canada. Also taking mine in to Traynor on Thursday to get my reverb fixed as it's been not working for a while despite the tank being good. Should be interesting to see the factory! Maybe I'll get a tour!

The mod was pretty simple. I don't remember exactly what I did, but if you're fairly confident with a soldering iron, you shouldn't have a problem. I have an email from Traynor support explaining what needs to be done. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Plus, I think the instructions are somewhere in this thread, IIRC.

• Members

I had Ruby EL34BSTR's in mine, when I had it. I also added the extra capacitor to allow biasing for EL34's. Man, it sounded great. All that EL34 chewiness, but still had good bottom end. I will say that I thought the clean channel sounded better with 6L6's, but I used the gain channel much more, so that was what I was trying to build on. I miss my Traynor, wish I wouldn't have sold it.

Is anyone selling one, I'd love to get my hands on another?

I had my YCS50 head up on craigslist for a trade and I think you offered up your Peavey for it, am I right?

• Members

I love this thread. Anyone have any experience with the DI line out?

It's a great signal but you don't get any reverb going through it (not too sure about how it affects other tone adjustments). I had it plugged into my Tascam 1641 and it sounded really clear, good signal but kinda flat and boring. It's good if you just want to get a foundation down for recording. Haven't used it for much else.

• Members

OK everybody..Talked to Traynor on the phone (AMAZING TECH SUPPORT AND FRIENDLY PPL)!!

People wanting to put EL34 in the YCS50 combo or the YCS90 combo you need to change the R49 resistor from 43K to 33K OR simply put a 150K resistor in parallel with the current one. I just did that and now I can properly bias EL34s no problem. Before I could only get about 25mV per tube as opposed to 37.5mV (or 75mV per pair as the manual says) as it's required. Now I can run 5881, 6L6 and EL34 in this amp! The YCS is an AWESOME amp I've been ignoring for a while now. I love my YCS90!

I also got the YCV50 Blue which I dearly love. A bit of a different vibe and feel which I love as well. Hand made in Canada - makes me proud I'm Canadian! Rock ON

PS. If you check the power section schematic of the YCS 50 Head R49 is 33K. This head comes with EL34 stock and can take 5881/6L6s also!

Here's the post from earlier in the thread about the resistor mod for EL34's.

I also received this from Traynor support back when I asked.

"The YCS50 does not have enough bias range to accomodate EL34's and they should be in the area of 70-75mv each. A small modification to the bias circuit can effectively change the 50 to a YCS50H which does have the range required. This should be done by a technician. Otherwise we would suggest you stick with 5881/6L6s.

Thank you for your enquiry.

Mike"

This mod was very simple for me.

• Members

From what I remember reading the YCS50 head can accommodate EL34's right off the bat and has the resistor "mod" so it can be biased accordingly unlike the combo(oops, just read the whole post from ledvedder...sorry to duplicate). Regardless, I'm heading into the Yorkville HQ tomorrow to drop off my amp to get reverb checked out and perhaps while they're in there can do this for me otherwise I'll get out the iron.

• Members

So, I've got the blessing from the wife and cash in my account and ready to pull the trigger on the YCS50h head. I'm going to order it through Pro Audio Star since there is no dealer in Southern California that I can find and the price seems very good with them. I've been lurking on this page for a few months and read all the info and it seems like this will be a good amp for me. I just want to make sure I can get a good british metal tone on channel one (JCM 800'ish?) I mainly play classic metal (Priest, Maiden, Sabbath, etc.) stuff, but play more Pennywise and Bad Religion in my band. I'm also interested in the Brit setting on channel two as it sounds like from the reviews you can get a decenent Plexi/Blues Breaker type of tone. I'm more after the ovderdrive/gain tones than the clean and I'm sure the clean tone is fine. I will be using it with my Mesa Rectifier 2X12 cab. Anyway, just wanted to be re-assured by you guys before taking the plunge!

Thanks!
Lance

• Members

So, I've got the blessing from the wife and cash in my account and ready to pull the trigger on the YCS50h head. I'm going to order it through Pro Audio Star since there is no dealer in Southern California that I can find and the price seems very good with them. I've been lurking on this page for a few months and read all the info and it seems like this will be a good amp for me. I just want to make sure I can get a good british metal tone on channel one (JCM 800'ish?) I mainly play classic metal (Priest, Maiden, Sabbath, etc.) stuff, but play more Pennywise and Bad Religion in my band. I'm also interested in the Brit setting on channel two as it sounds like from the reviews you can get a decenent Plexi/Blues Breaker type of tone. I'm more after the ovderdrive/gain tones than the clean and I'm sure the clean tone is fine. I will be using it with my Mesa Rectifier 2X12 cab. Anyway, just wanted to be re-assured by you guys before taking the plunge!

Thanks!

Lance

Channel 1 can get in that jcm800 range pretty well, it does have a bit more grain to it. I also really suggest using an eq pedal with that channel, for some reason they didn't put much bass on it (though there is enough if you really push up the bass and resonance). It also can get very saturated, more than most people expect/know.

Channel 2 (clean) is really great, the brit setting with the gain maxed sounds excellent for a plexish sound. Its probably my favorite place on that amp.

Hope that helps.

• Members

So, I've got the blessing from the wife and cash in my account and ready to pull the trigger on the YCS50h head. I'm going to order it through Pro Audio Star since there is no dealer in Southern California that I can find and the price seems very good with them. .................. I'm more after the ovderdrive/gain tones than the clean and I'm sure the clean tone is fine. I will be using it with my Mesa Rectifier 2X12 cab. Anyway, just wanted to be re-assured by you guys before taking the plunge!

Thanks!

Lance

Pro Audio Star was great to deal with (In person, In NY). They are flexible on price as well.

Let us know how the recto cab sounds when paired with the amp. I was thinking of getting one for the hell of it with the combo.

Cheers

• Members

Thanks for the responses! I'm just waiting for another email from Pro Audio Star to give me a final price quote before I order. I have a Bogner Alchemist 1X12 that I sometimes use with the Mesa Rectifier cabinet and it just sounds monsterous! Tons of low end chunk and just fat and full sounding. I highly recommend one if you're looking for an extension cab for your combo (or head) and want it to really crank. Blows my other guitarists 2X12 TSL602 combo completely away. When I get the head, I'll post up a pic with the Mesa cab and let ya know how it sounds!

• Members

The tones you can get with this amp are amazing. It does the maiden tone perfect. If you want to get a heavier/bassier tone just mess with the resonance,presence,and modern (scoop) switches.

• Members

Anyone else try taking the back panel off the amp and playing that way? I tried it the other day and have left it that way. Gives it a clearer sound.. more transparent/natural tone I think. The other thing I noticed is when you turn up the bass and resonance it doesn't get overly boomy this way too... I used to keep either the bass or the resonance down, especially for recording but with the back panel off I can turn them both up and it just sounds good.

Anyone else have this same experience? If not, give it a try and see what you think.

• Members

Anyone else try taking the back panel off the amp and playing that way? I tried it the other day and have left it that way. Gives it a clearer sound.. more transparent/natural tone I think. The other thing I noticed is when you turn up the bass and resonance it doesn't get overly boomy this way too... I used to keep either the bass or the resonance down, especially for recording but with the back panel off I can turn them both up and it just sounds good.

Anyone else have this same experience? If not, give it a try and see what you think.

Hey Stephan. I've been keeping the back panel off but did so to keep it "cooler". It gets pretty darn hot and have a fan in behind sometimes...probably only makes a little difference. Anyway, I did notice exactly what you pointed out plus if you put your hand on it while playing (or getting someone else to) it's amazing how much buzz and vibration there is. I usually have this amp pretty dark and thick and noticed a significant improvement in the lows and mids...to me anyway.

Side Note: Took amp in to Yorkville last week in Pickering and they fixed the reverb in less than a week. Awesome service...uninspiring HQ. We asked for a tour but to no avail. Seems like a veeeerrrry laid back environment and great place to work. Have yet to find out the details of what the problem was...will post later.

• Members

Hey Stephan. I've been keeping the back panel off but did so to keep it "cooler". It gets pretty darn hot and have a fan in behind sometimes...probably only makes a little difference. Anyway, I did notice exactly what you pointed out plus if you put your hand on it while playing (or getting someone else to) it's amazing how much buzz and vibration there is. I usually have this amp pretty dark and thick and noticed a significant improvement in the lows and mids...to me anyway.

Side Note: Took amp in to Yorkville last week in Pickering and they fixed the reverb in less than a week. Awesome service...uninspiring HQ. We asked for a tour but to no avail. Seems like a veeeerrrry laid back environment and great place to work. Have yet to find out the details of what the problem was...will post later.

Glad to hear your reverb tank is fixed. I usually play with some verb but lately have been enjoying the tones without it. Not sure if you would know them but I like the tones that Sloan gets on their recordings so I've been dialing in a tone similar to that... just makes me happy hehe

Archived