Rewiring Speaker Cab Inputs

sdhupelia

• Members

I bought a 2x12 custom cab from someone with 2 Hellatone/Celestion v30's installed. It's great, except according to the previous guy, "the speakers are wired parallel for 1 16ohm input". There are two input jacks, unlabeled, on the back of the 2x12, and I can plug into either one and it will power both speakers, if I'm hearing it correctly.

BUT, I want to rewire this similar to, say, a Marshall, where you can plug in a single 4 ohm input to power both speakers, or use each speaker of the 2x12 individually by plugging in two 8 ohm inputs (or 1 8ohm and 2 16's, I don't really care). I have a Marshall JVM410H and a Mesa Dual Recto 3-channel, and I have them stacked up and want to be able to plug both of them into the same cab, and use one, the other, or both at the same time. Both heads support every possible outputs.

I'm not afraid of a little DIY, although I've made it this far in life without ever soldering anything - any tips or links on how to rewire the speakers and input jack accordingly? I don't want to take it into a shop, I'll end up spending $100-150 for the work, and I could probably haggle with someone on this site and get a Marshall 1936 or something equivalent for twice that on a lucky day. Thanks for any and all advice!

• Members

Assuming you have a pair of 8 ohm speakers, the pair would be wired in series for a 16 ohm input, in parallel for a 4 ohm input, and then you could have an 8 ohm input to each individual speaker. Shouldn't be a huge deal, but the wiring will get a little confusing, and you need someone who can draw you a diagram.

Archived