Jet City JCA50H or Blackstar HT20H?

GRIMESPACE

• Members

MXR eq works just fine in JCA loop.
there's a thread that has an ongoing list of all the pedals that do and don't work well. Very few don't work.

ooo I didn't know that :love:

And to DDM, yes there is an ongoing list of pedals that will work. I will just add the MXR EQ to it right now :D See sig.

• Members

MXR eq works just fine in JCA loop. there's a thread that has an ongoing list of all the pedals that do and don't work well. Very few don't work.

Have You tested some pedals in JCA22H loop already?

I remember Doug writing, that JCA22H loop will be redesigned (not a typical SLO loop) and I would like to know whether new one is more pedal friendly.

• Members

I prefer the JCA50 over the 20. I think the Soldano circuit works better with 6L6s than with EL84s. The low end on that circuit is kinda loose to begin with (in a good way) and the EL84's add an extra squish-ness to the tone that doesn't work for me. It's a nice creamy tone for leads but for rhythm it loses definition. The extra headroom on the 50w is also nice and if you like a loud, clean tone, it is a necessity. Since the price difference between the 22h and the 50h will be only $100, I'd go with the 50w.

I kInd of agree with this.

Also maybe look at a 2nd hand Marshall dsl50 that will give you want. Sorry to jump in with a different option but its a great amp.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Thanks to everyone for all the information - I found it very useful. I wound up returning the Blackstar and just picked up the JCA50H from the UPS station at lunch today. Had all of 5 minutes to try it out before I had to return to work :cry:

From what I can tell, it's going to be exactly what I wanted. Way more controllable lower gain and much brighter than the Blackstar (or should that be Darkstar ;)). Sounds like a hard-rock machine, which is more in line with my tastes.

FRPC - Your input meant a lot to me. Your demos really helped in making my selection on something that I had almost no way of trying out first-hand. As much as I would have liked to have the smaller form factor of the 22H, I'm totally out of patience with that one - it's already been 6 months since I've been waiting on it to be released, and I'm outta gas :). I'm sure for my mediocre guitar playing that the 50 will work out fine for me.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Lots of misinformation.. 1st the ht-5 and ht-20 are not alike... except visually... the ht20 is more of a marshal  or usa tone depending on ISP setting... the clean channel is very clean but not very loud relative to the gain channel... The jca (soldano) amps are not clean..JCA22.  .. once you turn it up it has a very quick breakup point.. around 9-10 oclock... The soldano sound is metallica sounding . I own both  and actually get more use out of the blackstar.. another thing when doing a side by side comparison the blackstar is fuller sounding the JCA22 sounds scooped....  I know this is an older thread.. but my experience with both amps  may be worth somthing. If you want a all around sound go with the blackstar.. If you want hi distortion metal.. JCA.  ( I use an OD3 pedal and I can get the blackstar  to do anything the jca does without a pedal.

Archived