OT: Any big (muscley) dudes here?

anonymousalien1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Originally posted by peavey2112

Please listen to me. There is some good advice here but I'll add this. I was into bodybuilding for 19 years and got big enough to turn heads, get compliments, etc. Lucky for me I have a fast metabolism and was always cut no matter what my diet was or what I ate. But I do know this-bulking up and cutting back is crap and here's why. You want to build muscle so why add fat and then try to lose it? Use common sense. Just lift hard every time you train. Get a program from somebody who looks like they know what they're doing. Most big guys are willing to help. Train hard, slowly gain muscle, stay cut all the time. The fat will just cover everything up and make you lazy and not motivated.

Your advice falls flat if someone doesn't have the metabolism that you do. Remaining defined while building muscle is really difficult for most of us. The point of bulking is to put on a lot of muscle and some fat, the point of cutting is to lose the fat and as little muscle as possible. Some people don't even alter their workouts/rep ranges, just their diets.

If you're looking to other people in the gym for advice, you're better off asking the middle-aged guy that consistently works out, rather than the 20-30 something that is fueled by testosterone and adrenaline, only to hit the wall and become lazy and unhealthy when they get older. Going to the gym should have more to do with your health than your ego.

• Members
Originally posted by DeathMonkey

I have been working out for 15 years or so, just a 20-30 minute workout three times a week, but I am a pretty big dude.

I switch between heavy weights and doing three sets of 8-10 reps with only 10-15 seconds between sets (to add muscle) and lower weights, 2 sets of 10-14 reps , 15-20 secs between sets (for muscle toning). I switch every three to four months or so, or when I plateau with one I switch to the other.

There are plenty of other methods, but IMHO all that creatine/protein {censored} is a waste of money. Go to a good gym, get a workout prescribed for you by a personal trainer (not a gym like Golds where the "personal trainers" are basically sales reps for their own lines of supplements), and get real info.

For the record, chicks like definition more than size. For muscle that is, anyways.
:thu:

i wouldnt say that proteins, etc are a waste of money, in fact id strongly disagree. I weighed 185 pounds at 6'2" before i got to college. After i got to college to play baseball i was told to put weight on. my body doesnt put weight on easily. From there i went to poundin 8 protein shakes a day, and 4 calorie shakes. And i lifted 4 times a day, and ran twice. Now im at 220. I also had to use a "muscle enhancer" to put that weight on as well. But still, protein helps a lot, if its used correctly.

• 7 years later...

Archived