RP1000 for $260. Should I?

madrigal77

• Members
I agree the volume issues are a pain in the ass. Getting different patches to match volume wise is an issue with any of these types of units. Then again, it can be an issue with 3 or 4 channel amps, too?
:)

i'm having no issues with volume levels with the mak4....

if you are that ocd about it just get a db reader, all smartphones have apps for them now

but to the guy with the Peters, of course patches are going to sound different when the amp is turned down vs at band levels. tube amps... how do they work again?

its annoying but when you have a multi you have to create the patches at the volume you plan to use them at. tube amps sound very different when cranked up and thus will change how the patch will sound. its not rocket science, reading the manual would really help.

• Members

but to the guy with the Peters, of course patches are going to sound different when the amp is turned down vs at band levels. tube amps... how do they work again?

its annoying but when you have a multi you have to create the patches at the volume you plan to use them at. tube amps sound very different when cranked up and thus will change how the patch will sound. its not rocket science, reading the manual would really help.

Yeah no {censored}. Thats why I showed up early to do some tweaking.

• Members

Probably correct. Except for this one: How could it be user error that the factory patches are all over the map volume wise?

That's not user error but it's normal with a lot of modelers. Patches that have a "big" amp model (Marshall, Mesa) will sound louder than patches that have a smaller amp model like a Champ or AC15.

• Members

Probably correct. Except for this one: How could it be user error that the factory patches are all over the map volume wise?

the fail boat has run aground.

notice how some of the patches say solo and some dont? wouldnt make any sense to have a patch for the verses be the same level as patches for a solo. the factory presets are garbage. you need to spend some time with it, read the manual and figure out how it works. then you can create your own patches that sound way better and will be suited for exactly what you want.

they didnt design it so that you could take it out of the box and have it work perfectly for you. they designed it for the masses and the masses are idiots.

• Members

the fail boat has run aground.

notice how some of the patches say solo and some dont? wouldnt make any sense to have a patch for the verses be the same level as patches for a solo. the factory presets are garbage. you need to spend some time with it, read the manual and figure out how it works. then you can create your own patches that sound way better and will be suited for exactly what you want.

they didnt design it so that you could take it out of the box and have it work perfectly for you. they designed it for the masses and the masses are idiots.

You know the patch volumes are all over the map from factory. I take a few banks and level them all out to say 50. They should all be in the same ballpark volume wise except maybe the solo patch you talk about or if they have a boost on. But no you cant do that because they are all still different volumes even though they are all the same volume. Like I said I just used my ears which is bull{censored} because I want to use my ears to make patches like you said but Im too busy dicking around trying to get the levels right to even think about turning a tone knob yet.

You know all modelers are not like this. My Vetta was all over the place volume wise but I just took and set and saved all patch volumes to 12:00 and right there they are damn near perfectly adjusted. Probably gonna just use that at saturdays rehearsal and bring the Peters and RP home to do some more tweaking on.

• Members

thats all i am trying to say mang.

spend some real time with it besides just before practice, read the manual and create patches for your sound and what you need. you cant expect a unit built for the masses to come out of the box perfect for your exact needs, everyone is different and the factory patches really are meant more for the noob than people playing in bands.

more than anything though you have to realize that if you create a patch at bedroom levels and then turn up a tube amp its going to sound way different.

its a good unit, i am pretty familiar with it if you ever have any questions pm me

bill

• Members

The same patches at low volume will work at high volume with some EQ tweakage and maybe gain adjustment as was my case. The problem was the levels! Couldnt get the amp loop(Peters preamp) patch to play nice with the RP patches.

You should know that amp loop levels aren't the same on all amps. There is no way for a multifx maker to preset it correctly for everyone.

IMO, the biggest drawback to the RP1000 is that you can only have a single parameter assignment per control switch.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I've necro'd this thread becuase people, like me, might cast nets on the 'nets for RP1000 hookage. I have one on order so looking around for 411.

I'm a LONG time multi-FX user- I had the first street production model, the Digitech/DOD Chain Reaction. GSP-21 Pro. RP2000. Tonelab SE, Voodu Valve (x2). GSP 2101. ME70. And that's all I can remember for now.

There are some misconceptions here that were somewhat dispelled but I wanted to reinforce it. Yes...ALL multifx factory presets are crap. They don't sound good on your amp. Output levels are f'd. FX levels are F'd. Before you buy an RP1000, me70, G3, or GR55....you need to ask yourself if you want to invest the time and effrot into it. You can get it in the pallpark at home. You can tweak it at practice,,,,but then you'll still need to make final adjustments at gigs.

And...it's MVHO that *most* peopel who don't like the RP1000 et.al. don't like multi-fx (specifically modellers/preamps) at all in the first place. They aren'tmeant to replace your amps. They can sound acceptable to very good...but- well if you have a model of the Eiffle Tower...you don't actually have the real Eiffle Tower. It's also not meant to be able to replicate just the one amp. You can't say "but my Badcat soudns TONS better, so RP1000 is junk".  Your Badcat ( or whatever) will have a very difficult time doing 5150/Recto/etc/etc.

These things are meant to replicate many different amps- jack of all trades not a  master of one, while having ease of use (switching FX/sims), setup and transportation. I like having many different sounds.tones.fx within one or two clicks of a switch, while maybe not being totally perect, perfectly acceptable.

Archived