Mesa F-series Lounge. Come on in and share your secrets.

Dann'sTheMan

• Members
Originally posted by UconnJack
Mesa F-XX Brothers. After much consideration, I think I'm bowing out of the club for a while. I've got a couple of big outdoor gigs booked this summer and am thinking about going with a 100W head. I'm considering the Stiletto, Dual Rectifier or a Genx Benz ElDiablo.

I cranked the F-50 this weekend, it really sings, I'm gonna miss it.
(Feel free to talk me out of it cause I'm still on the fence!)

Peace!
It sounds to me like you still dig the sound of the F-50. If it's only volume or projection that you're concerned about have you considered adding a cabinet? I use two 1 x 12 cab's and when I aim them in differnt directions or seperate them the percieved volume increase is dramatic. With two you can also have one aimed at you and the other in whatever direction you want.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Thanks for all the input guys. It's not so much a volume issue, it's more a feel and fullness to my sound that I'm looking for. I'm running a 2x12 Avatar with the F-50 lately.

I'm leaning towards keeping the F-50 and just picking up a Head to compare and see if I'm missing anything.

• Members
Thanks for all the input guys. It's not so much a volume issue, it's more a feel and fullness to my sound that I'm looking for. I'm running a 2x12 Avatar with the F-50 lately.

I'm leaning towards keeping the F-50 and just picking up a Head to compare and see if I'm missing anything.
There's nothing wrong with wanting different flavors. I just picked up a Rivera R55-12 for that purpose. I'm glad that you agree the F-50 is pretty much loud enough for any situation, otherwise I might have to worry about your hearing smile.gif.

• Members

That's a great idea. I've done lots of side-by-side comparisons between the F-50 and other amps both before and after I bought it. It's amazing how the F-50 can trump the tones of other amps once you start tweaking. I still have two other amps besides the F-50 but they aren't getting much use now and one will be up for sale soon. I will always keep a second for tonal variation and as a backup.

I know tone is totally subjective but I compared the F-50 to a dual rec and besides a certain scooped high-gain tone that the dual rec was exceptionally good at I thought the F-50 surpassed it in every other aspect.

• Members
Originally posted by markmann
That's a great idea. I've done lots of side-by-side comparisons between the F-50 and other amps both before and after I bought it. It's amazing how the F-50 can trump the tones of other amps once you start tweaking. I still have two other amps besides the F-50 but they aren't getting much use now and one will be up for sale soon. I will always keep a second for tonal variation and as a backup.

I know tone is totally subjective but I compared the F-50 to a dual rec and besides a certain scooped high-gain tone that the dual rec was exceptionally good at I thought the F-50 surpassed it in every other aspect.
It sounds incredible in a band mix as well. It just has so much body that just brings it out front in the mix and when you crank it there is such a warm, sweet sustain. Glad you like yours because i love mine. The first time i brought it to band practice it was great. The other guitarist had a 100w (soilid sate) head and 4x12 cab and when i opened my boogie up both the guitarist and bass player couldn't stop cursing. biggrin.gif that is a good feeling.

• Members
Originally posted by markmann
as a recto owner I couldnt agree more.

• Members

Hello Brothers,

I've not had a chance to post recently, but I have followed this thread with interest. UconnJack, sorry to hear about your dilemma. I hope the right cab will give you the feel and sound you're looking for - I was most impressed when I ran a F-50 combo through a Mesa 4x12 (Traditional).

FWIW, I've also run my F-50 combo standalone at an open air gig, and I had no volume issues including the clean channel (although the clean tones did get thicker as the power tubes started to cook). I wore a smile for weeks after as I loved the way the amp got more and more touch responsive as the wick was wound up - it was a thing of beauty to let off the leash. tongue.gif

Very best wishes in making your decision, smile.gif

Big smiles,

Andy.

• Members

Has anybody gone from the head and a cab to the combo? I'm thinking about selling my stuff to buy a custom covered F50 combo at the local music store.

I walked in there originally to try out the 3/4 back 2x12 cabinet but they didn't have one.

The 2x12 recto cab I have is boomy, I have to turn the bass down for it to sound good. I played the combo today and didn't have the same problem, sounded better with more bass.

Thoughts?

• Members
Originally posted by phyrexia
Has anybody gone from the head and a cab to the combo? I'm thinking about selling my stuff to buy a custom covered F50 combo at the local music store.

I walked in there originally to try out the 3/4 back 2x12 cabinet but they didn't have one.

The 2x12 recto cab I have is boomy, I have to turn the bass down for it to sound good. I played the combo today and didn't have the same problem, sounded better with more bass.

Thoughts?
Well its a different speaker to begin with.

• Members
Originally posted by Dann'sTheMan

Excellent post! I'm still running the stock tubes after two years, so I definitely need to retube my amp sooner rather than later. LithiumZero, you have me itching to try out the exact combination that is working so well for you! I may well have to investigate and find out if I can source all of these tubes here in Europe - can anyone recommend where? biggrin.gif
I'd love to hear more about everyone's experiences and recommendations with different tubes in the F-series. smile.gif
Big smiles,
Andy.
I just bought my F-50 wide body combo Tuesday night. I did some tweaking last night and have established some base settings on both channels. I have a big collection of tubes from the Nomad 45 which I still have. I put a Groove tube 12AX7-M (Mullard) in V2 and immediately heard a big difference, warmer, tighter tone. I tried swapping the other tubes with some EH 12ax7's but ended up putting the original Sovtech's back in. Until my ear gets use to this amp I'm going to hold of on the tubes.
I will say that for a $20 investment, one tube, the GT12ax7-M, will give very positive results. I got mine from from Doug's Tubes. He lives about 30 minutes from me.

• Members

Originally posted by GTM

I just bought my F-50 wide body combo Tuesday night. I did some tweaking last night and have established some base settings on both channels. I have a big collection of tubes from the Nomad 45 which I still have. I put a Groove tube 12AX7-M (Mullard) in V2 and immediately heard a big difference, warmer, tighter tone. I tried swapping the other tubes with some EH 12ax7's but ended up putting the original Sovtech's back in. Until my ear gets use to this amp I'm going to hold of on the tubes.

I will say that for a $20 investment, one tube, the GT12ax7-M, will give very positive results. I got mine from from Doug's Tubes. He lives about 30 minutes from me.

Thanks GTM! :)

• Members

I've been lookin' at all types of reviews, and considering options for my new amp. I think I may get an F series. All my rig consists of now is my Ibanez RG, Avatar 412 (2 T75s, 2 carvin gs12s). I want something that can do nice cleans like Radiohead all the way up to brutal distortion like Pantera and Metallica. I do alot of recording, and don't gig. The F30 seems to be a good amp if it can deliver the distortion I want. I don't really need anything to be loud, so I would go with the F-30 if it weren't for the EL84s. I haven't tried out these amps yet, so I'm unsure of how they sound (gonna go later this week to Guitar Center). It's probably between the F30 and F50. Thinkin' about getting a custom job, rhino vinyl with a wicker cane grille.

Thoughts, suggestions please :)

• Members

Originally posted by bendedavis

I've been lookin' at all types of reviews, and considering options for my new amp. I think I may get an F series. All my rig consists of now is my Ibanez RG, Avatar 412 (2 T75s, 2 carvin gs12s). I want something that can do nice cleans like Radiohead all the way up to brutal distortion like Pantera and Metallica. I do alot of recording, and don't gig. The F30 seems to be a good amp if it can deliver the distortion I want. I don't really need anything to be loud, so I would go with the F-30 if it weren't for the EL84s. I haven't tried out these amps yet, so I'm unsure of how they sound (gonna go later this week to Guitar Center). It's probably between the F30 and F50. Thinkin' about getting a custom job, rhino vinyl with a wicker cane grille.

Thoughts, suggestions please
:)

save your money on a custom order and get the F50 instead of the 30.

• Members

I've been experimenting with how my GT3 can interact with my F50 tone. I keep my cleans on a slightly scoop low gain setting, and the distortion on fairly neutral 1:30 Gain, 10:30 treble, and 12 for mid and bass. I use the gain settings and the preamp GT3 and a very very low settings along with the EQ. Now I can literally get any tone I wish at my feet. Marshall, Soldano or just good old classic Mesa, this setup can do anything I want. I don't really have any nice recording equipment to do a demo justice, but I'll post something in about a week, to show the versatility of the setup. I know many purist may be thinking "oh but that would sound digital and thin". Nope, i keep the GT3 settings on very subtle, so that they only colour the tone.

• Members

Thoughts, suggestions please
:)

I strongly suggest you try both side by side. I recently bought an F-50. The GC I went to had the F-30 & F-50 side by side. If it weren't that I already had a Nomad 45 and wanted something different than the El84's I might have gone for it. It's a great sounding amp at lower volumes and if recording is your application it might be just what your looking for. Check it out.

• Members

So I went to Guitar Center yesterday. I ended up trying out the F30 combo, cuz they didn't have the head. OMG, it's great. Plus the new ones have V30s in em instead of C90s. It's only 50 dollars more than the head, so it's a great deal. I was gonna get it, but of course there had to be some issues with Guitar Center. I don't like explaining everything again, so here's a conversation I had with somebody yesterday http://www.exitmusic.us/mesa.htm. So, does anybody know about financing a brand new mesa? because there's no way I'm paying a new price for a USED amp.

• Members

So I went to Guitar Center yesterday. I ended up trying out the F30 combo, cuz they didn't have the head. OMG, it's great. Plus the new ones have V30s in em instead of C90s. It's only 50 dollars more than the head, so it's a great deal. I was gonna get it, but of course there had to be some issues with Guitar Center. I don't like explaining everything again, so here's a conversation I had with somebody yesterday
http://www.exitmusic.us/mesa.htm
. So, does anybody know about financing a brand new mesa? because there's no way I'm paying a new price for a USED amp.

Hi bendedavis,

I'm glad you had such a positive experience with the F-series. The F-30 is certainly a great sounding amp, although it does sound subtley different to its bigger brothers, the F-50 and F-100. You may be interested to know that the F-30 and the F-100 combos usually come with the Vintage 30 speakers (as far as I'm aware this is not a new thing), whilst the F-50 is the only one in the line that usually comes with the Black Shadow C-90. :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

• Members

How bout the financing? I want a brand new one, not the old looking one with old tubes, that's in the store. They said to get a new one in that'd be a special order.. and I couldn't finance that.

Not sure about what your talking about in your other forum. Is the F-30 used or just a dusty showroom model? If it's used as in previously owned then $900 is certainly to much. I recently bought my F-50 from GC. It was the floor model. Yes I would have preferred new out of the box. However, I really cranked the amp in the store and couldn't detect any problems. I asked for new power tubes (2) 6L6 and the store complied without any problems. Had there been any cosmetic issues I would have tried to get a few bucks off. GC has always been good like that with gear I've purchased in the past. I bought the extended warranty for and additional $99. This added 30 more days to the full cash return. So I have 60 days to return the amp if not satisfied. I bought it on my GC credit card, they gave me 90 days- no money down.

I've never had any problems with the GC where I live (Commack, NY). The always bend the rules for me to make the sale. Once I had the manager of the store run out into the parking lot after I walked out dissatisfied with a sale and talk me back into the store to negotiate. Maybe it's different where you are but at the least, if you buy with the GC credit card they can give you up to 1 year before payments are required. Also, did you ask them to search for the amp in another store. All the GC's are hooked up together. I've had them do searches and get me a guitar shipped from another store. I'm sure there is a new F-30 in another store that wouldn't require a special order.

• Members

How bout the financing? I want a brand new one, not the old looking one with old tubes, that's in the store. They said to get a new one in that'd be a special order.. and I couldn't finance that.

Hey, man. I'm sorry to hear about your predicament. When I bought my F-100 2x12 combo, I got it from Guitar Center new in the box; i.e. never opened, direct from the factory. If GC aren't willing to treat you the same way, then either appeal to the manager or find another store (I know it's not always easy). As far as financing, all you're really doing is signing up for their credit card at a usually heinous APR (>20%). You would be much better off to apply for a credit card that has a 0% APR for 6+ months and a credit limit in excess of $1000. I obviously don't know about your credit, but most people, including poor college kids, can get a card with the listed amenities. Then, you can get whatever you want and you

• Members

Originally posted by hal9000

Hey, man. I'm sorry to hear about your predicament. When I bought my F-100 2x12 combo, I got it from Guitar Center new in the box; i.e. never opened, direct from the factory. If GC aren't willing to treat you the same way, then either appeal to the manager or find another store (I know it's not always easy). As far as financing, all you're really doing is signing up for their credit card at a usually heinous APR (>20%). You would be much better off to apply for a credit card that has a 0% APR for 6+ months and a credit limit in excess of $1000. I obviously don't know about your credit, but most people, including poor college kids, can get a card with the listed amenities. Then, you can get whatever you want and you

• Members

I ran into the same problem when I was shopping for an F-50... I called every music store in town that carried Mesa and no one had a new F-50 in the box, all they had was what was on the floor. Talking to the sales-people and store owners the story I kept hearing was that it was hard to get orders from Mesa. Since new Mesa amp's are expensive they only ordered so many and put them on the floor and If you wanted something that the store did not have then you wait for weeks.

My advise: Play the snot out of a floor model and if it sounds good buy it.

• Members

The first time I bought an F-50 it was from guitar center. I brought it home, played it a fairly low volumes and it started crackling. Also I was not educated on how to dial the amp in (the tone controls have not effect at high gain settings). So I got nervous and returned it.

But a year later I bought one used (off of this forum) and I _love_ the amp. I have had it around 6 months. It is definitely my favorite amp.

Here is a clip: F-50 Clip

and the wierd guitar I made it with:

Headless fanned fret guitar

Archived