Who builds the best Soldano SLO100 clone?

omni

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The SLO circuit can be traced back through the Marshall's to the Fender Bassman and then on to old RCA radio circuits before that. I don't mean original in components and function, I mean original in the application of those components and functions. Until the SLO, nothing sounded like an SLO.

my point is that the SLO is just like every amp out there...a variation on a theme. mike didn't design it from the ground up, he made some changes to existing designs. there's a whole new crop of builders that are doing the same thing, only they're starting with the SLO and making changes. what's wrong with that?

one of the most "original" designs i've seen is a MKIIC+. it's the greatest departure from teh old fender circuit that i've seen.

• Members

yeah, i saw the link to the price list, and that's what sparked my curiosity. i really just wanted to know what a siren looked like:D.

by the time i get what i want, it'll prolly be $3K, just because it seems like i have very expensive taste. such is life.

i'll get with you if i ever scratch the dough together or win the lottery:o

• Members

But the Mark series amps were "based" on the Dumble circuit, weren't they?

I've talk to several MAJOR amp builders and they all have a very distinctive distaste for Randall Smith and his "ethics"

well, see...i've never seen a dumble schematic. i just thought it was original to put the tone stack after the first triode instead of before the PI. if that's what dumbles were like, then, it's them that were originals and the mark series is just a variation on THAT theme.

• Members

i tell ya...that little bit on the schematic for the MKIIC+ about successfully prosecuting infringers seems a bit shaky when that design was obviously stolen. i still wanna try it some day. put the tone stack after the first triode, and put a 6 band active EQ in between the preamp and power amp. sort of a combination of VHT, SLO, and IIC+. just seems like it could sound awesome.

• Members

check the "other noteworthy amps" forum at sloclone, they have been disecting the IIC+, the schematics (or what you can make out of them) are wrong.....check it out, they've done some pretty good work on it over there, even found someone who will make the simul-class trannies...

• Members

yeah, i've been watching that unfold for a while now. i'm tellin ya, i'm gonna take little bits of what i think make different amps sound good, and i'm gonna make one out of them and see what happens. worst case scenario, i'll be out a turret board and some turrets.

• Members

I need to get me a SLO clone bad!
:)
With all the mods too.
:thu:

I'm thinking about getting in the business of building them for people, since they seem to be becoming more of a wanted thing.

Oh and BTW, whoever was talking crap about the 'cheap' weber transformers, you obviously haven't heard them. They kick all kinds of ass for the price. The OT is ballsy as {censored}.

• Members

I'm thinking about getting in the business of building them for people, since they seem to be becoming more of a wanted thing.

Oh and BTW, whoever was talking crap about the 'cheap' weber transformers, you obviously haven't heard them. They kick all kinds of ass for the price. The OT is ballsy as {censored}.

so, you're saying that weber transformers sound better than mercury magnetics transformers? and i never said the webers were bad, i said others were better. what, are you ted weber or something?

• Members

so, you're saying that weber transformers sound better than mercury magnetics transformers? and i never said the webers were bad, i said others were better. what, are you ted weber or something?

No where in his post did he say the webers are better than the Mercury Magnetics. He just said the webers are great for the price.

• Members

yeah, i've been watching that unfold for a while now. i'm tellin ya, i'm gonna take little bits of what i think make different amps sound good, and i'm gonna make one out of them and see what happens. worst case scenario, i'll be out a turret board and some turrets.

I wanna see someone do the "Master Of Puppets" amp, with the IIC+ preamp, para eq and JMP all in one chassis.....

If it could work, that would be something to see.....:thu:

• Members

No where in his post did he say the webers are better than the Mercury Magnetics. He just said the webers are great for the price.

and nowhere in my original post was i "talking crap" about teh webers, but i notice that YOU failed to point that out to HIM.

• Members

I wanna see someone do the "Master Of Puppets" amp, with the IIC+ preamp, para eq and JMP all in one chassis.....

If it could work, that would be something to see.....
:thu:

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I was thinking the samething...kind of. Build an amp with the C+ pre section with a little more gain(I meant saturation kind of like boosting it with an SD-1) and a 2203 power section.

Archived