My DIY Marshall 1960 4x12 Replica

theDogger

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Sorry for no updates. I am at the mercy of the owners shop. He had a project that he needed to finish. So either tonight or tomorrow I will have the cab ready to tolex and put the finishing touches on...I snap some shots and up date..

theDogger

• Members

Sorry for no updates. I am at the mercy of the owners shop. He had a project that he needed to finish. So either tonight or tomorrow I will have the cab ready to tolex and put the finishing touches on...I snap some shots and up date..

theDogger

that must be frustrating as. Anway, I can't wait to see the finished product

• Members

Man, I can't wait to see the finished product. How many cabs have you built before this one?

This is the first one that I have built. I will also have some pics of a Marshall 2x12 that I also am starting when I finish this one. It was real fun and a lot easier Having the right tools...

pic1000.jpg

pic1001.jpg

pic1002.jpg

pic1003.jpg

pic1004.jpg

pic1005.jpg

pic1006.jpg

stay tuned more to come....:thu:

theDogger

• Members

theDogger,

Did you ever find the plans for a 1936 2x12 cabinet? I'm interested in building one of them.

Also, a question about your build. The plans show a 1/2" standoff on the front of the baffle for the grill cloth. Are these 1/2" x 1/2" strips? It just says 1/2" standoffs.

• Members

theDogger,

Did you ever find the plans for a 1936 2x12 cabinet? I'm interested in building one of them.

Also, a question about your build. The plans show a 1/2" standoff on the front of the baffle for the grill cloth. Are these 1/2" x 1/2" strips? It just says 1/2" standoffs.

Yes 1/2x1/2......

No I did not find any plans for the 2x12. I am just going to use the measurements off the Marshall site. The rest is just like this 4x12 build only the lower half...

What was really kool is the the 1" round off of the corners....Steve had a huge 1" radius bit and I did not have to hand sand anything. Just ran the router on both edges.

hope that helps..I'll be posting more pics shortly. I am waiting to cover it because I am undecided as to what color I am going to cover it. I might buy a Orange head so I will have to change out the grill cloth also...if not then black Marshall elephant tolex...

theDogger:thu:

• Members

Great! Thanks for that info. I was looking at the Marshall website, too. I think the dimensions they give for the 1936 include casters (or maybe just the feet). I think I read somewhere that the 1936's were 575 cm tall (not including feet or casters), 12 1/4" deep, and 29.9" wide. Can anyone confirm this?

• Members

This is the first one that I have built. I will also have some pics of a Marshall 2x12 that I also am starting when I finish this one. It was real fun and a lot easier Having the right tools...

Hot damn... you're doing amazing work. I would've guessed you've done a few of these before. I hear ya on having the right tools - doing so seems to reduce labor time by a factor of ten.

What led you to this build (other than having access to a shop and wanting a Marshall cab for less than what a used one costs)? For me, getting into tweed was a matter of seeing so many restoration jobs done incorrectly (hell, I can do it incorrectly), but also wanting to save some money on smaller projects, and not wanting to wait 6-12 months for a quality resto shop to do it right.

• Members

Great! Thanks for that info. I was looking at the Marshall website, too. I think the dimensions they give for the 1936 include casters (or maybe just the feet). I think I read somewhere that the 1936's were 575 cm tall (not including feet or casters), 12 1/4" deep, and 29.9" wide. Can anyone confirm this?

The 1922 is smaller than the 1933. I believe that the 1936 is also closed back and with more air space will have a little more bass. Look at the pic from left to right...

1912, 1922, 1936

cabfeatures2.jpg

• Members

Hot damn... you're doing amazing work. I would've guessed you've done a few of these before. I hear ya on having the right tools - doing so seems to reduce labor time by a factor of ten.

What led you to this build (other than having access to a shop and wanting a Marshall cab for less than what a used one costs)? For me, getting into tweed was a matter of seeing so many restoration jobs done incorrectly (hell,
I
can do it incorrectly), but also wanting to save some money on smaller projects, and not wanting to wait 6-12 months for a quality resto shop to do it right.

This is the first cab that I made. I would not have attempted it if I did not have access to the wood shop and Steve. Steve was very helpful when cutting the angles and getting it to work the first time. Steve kept joking and asking if I want to make more than one because all the time that went into figuring out the first box which really is the protype.

I also did it because I love doing things like this...knowing that I made it myself and it is of better quality than I would have spent over $700 to get...

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Ok I covered the cab last night. Have have pics to post but did not get a chance as I finished at 2am in the morning. It turned out great. If there is one thing that I learned from this is that you do not need a lot of glue. Just enough to haze the surface you are covering. The reason that I am making a point of this is that I test the glue and tolex before and even going light w/ a 1/16 x 1/16 trowel you can get excess glue that you will have to roll out.

If you get the right amount you do not even have to cover the corners as what is pushed out will be plenty..

As far as cutting the corners if found these threads and it worked out well. just plan ahead and take your time.

http://jam4jmessageboard.websitetoolbox.com/post?id=2378719

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=1186568#post1186568

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=202751

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?t=10010&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

So when I get home I post the pics of the cab.

theDogger

• Members

Ok here are some shots....Everything is pretty much done except I have to glue the edges over then screw the handle and the back plate in. I'll have some more pics shortly of the finished cab,

cab01.jpg

cab02.jpg

cab03.jpg

cab04.jpg

cab05.jpg

cab06.jpg

cab07.jpg

cab08.jpg

cab09.jpg

cab10.jpg

stay tuned

theDogger

• Members

Ok I got a chance to finish the cab up. It think that it turned out pretty good for my first build. The 2x12 will go much smoother with what I have learned w/ the 4x12. Right now I only loaded 2-G12T-75 into 8 ohms. I am waiting for 1 more Vintage 30 then I'll finish wiring everything up.

It sounds great so far...

cab17.jpg

cab18.jpg

cab19.jpg

theDogger

• Members

Here are few shot of the last 2 speaker that I put in. HellaTone 60L They look like they are actually a limited run of Celeston's made for Marshall. I lifted the HellaTone sticker they were labeled G12 Vintage MF and you can also see the pic of the sticker on the magnet. Anyone have an idea what cab Marshall put these in. They sounds great... :D

cab22.jpg

cab21.jpg

cab20.jpg

theDogger

Archived