3 wire single coil!?!

Belva

• Members

I recently aquired a pickguard from a strat type guitar. The pickups on this one have 3 wires. Red, shield & white. The pup covers say "duncan designed".

The red & shield were hooked to ground while the white hooked to the switch in typical strat fashion. What the heck do I have? Can I series/ parallel these? Anyone seen these before? I only been playing with guitar wiring for about a year so I'm still a noob. Thanks.

• Members

If it's a single coil, there is no series/parallel. It's the same principle as a four-wire humbucker with shield - one wire is north, the other is south, and, of course, the shield is ground. On a four-wire humbucker, there are two wires for each coil (one north, one south).

I think if you reverse the red and white, you're reversing phase or it's like using a reverse wound pickup. One of those.

• Members

Its a low hum design only. I have a demarzio the same way. It just helps to ground out hum. I suppose you could center tap a single coil, but a center tap would only make the same sound weaker, maybe a littel more high end like a high ohm vs a low ohm coil would have.

Archived