total noob footswitch question

sublimeride

• Members

Well I have a Marshall avt50 combo with out a footswitch to change the channels.I know i can buy one for $30 but i would like to start building some fx pedals and i thought it might be a good idea to start with this simple footswitch.I was just wondering if anyone could show me how to wire one or take a pic of one for me.Thanks guys.

• Members

What do you need the footswitch to do? Simple one button switch to change channels? Do you have switchable reverb? Need input before anyone can help. One button F/S is just a switch, lampcord (Do it Best Hardware) and a 1/4" jack (Radio Shack). You can put it in a tuna fish can if you're really cheap. 2 button is a little more complicated but not much. Just let us know what you need. Can you solder? Have a soldering pencil?

• Members

just for channel switching.I have rewired guitars before so the soldering shouldn't be a problem and I have all the tools.I wasn't really wanting to go cheep i just wanted the practice.I was wanting to put it in an enclosure like the mxr or byoc effects pedals and maybe try some custom graffix on it.I really appreciate the help.

• Members

If the pedal is only $30, you would spend about that for the supplies you would need to make one.

If I recall correctly these amps use a singe or dual button footswitch. They have daughter boards with components on them. If you can find the schematic, you could build one.

I built the BYOC Phase90 clone, and it was very fun and straight forward. Excellent for practice if that's what you are looking for.

• Members

Just for channel switching is 2 wires. I gather you've soldered a new end on a guitar cable. Do this using some 18 AWG. speaker wire or lamp cord. At the other end it doesn't matter which wire goes where on the switch. I prefer to use the switches I mentioned earlier as they're not only cheap, but durable. They also have 2 wires coming out of them. Simply twist those to the ones on the cord & cap them with wire nuts. Done. Just make sure the amp calls for a single footswitch. This might or might not work if it's a tip/ring/sleeve (TRS) type that would be for a 2 button footswitch. And I like my tuna can F/S. Durable as hell & has lots of mojo.

• Members

Whatever you use, make sure to use a grommet where the wire comes out of the enclosure. If you do the tuna can use the top to re enforce the bottom of the can which is the top of the enclosure. Pop a couple of rivets in for good measure & don't sweat if it gets stolen at a gig.

Archived