Decals

Belva

• Members

I'm almost finished with my hardtail conversion. And the paint job reminds many of a bowling ball. I want to put a decal on the headstock that says, "Brunzwik". I tried some Testors brand decal paper for inkjet printers with unsatisfactory results. This stuff is the waterslide type. Followed the instructions, used the decal bonder they recommend & the ink still runs & looks awful. Anyone out there recommend a better product? I also want to clear over it with Minwax spray satin poly as that's what I finished the neck with. Having a stick on decal made is an option but the cost is prohibitive. I also have become stubborn & want to DIY the thing. Thanks

• Members

I've had very good luck with Testor's water slide decals for the inkjet. I think they are hard to apply (they curl easily), but I've had no problem with the ink running.

I do it this way:

Print the decal.

Let it dry at least 10 minutes.

Spray the bonding spray. Use plenty.

Let dry at least 2 hours.

Apply.

SteveSchecter

• Members

Most likely I haven't beem using enough bonding spray then. Maybe next project. I went ahead & ordered a decal from an Ebay vendor. And the cost was less than the Testors stuff. But I may use it for an upcoming footswitch project.

• Members

I use the Testors decals all the time for pedals and just recently used it on a headstock with great results. Instead of using the bonding agent, just spray a couple coats of your clear over it and let it dry. I've been doing it that way for a while and have never had a problem with the ink running.

Here's a pic of the headstock:

DSC03085.jpg

• Members

Looks good. Now I need another project. I got decal paper. Good enough excuse for me. What color are you using for pedals? I may be needing to make decals for an amp front plate. And there's the f/s project. Hep me i'm sick!

Archived