Would this be easy to do?

shooto

• Members

I want to clean up the line in/line out stuff on my pedal board...instead of having connections all over the place, what about some junction box thing where I can plug everything into one spot- I'm thinking the jacks could just be parallel wired so chain out is chain out, effects in is effects in, effects out is effects out...ect

would that/this work?

boardclean.jpg

• Members

It would be a very simple box. Get a pedal enclosure & six 1/4" jacks. Or find any suitable box to put it all together. I can see this making setup a little easier. If you feel a need, got for it.

• Members

Yes, tip to tip, sleeve to sleeve. I only see a need for 6 jacks. And I'd keep the loop & chain completely seperate. Otherwise there wouldn't be a point in doing this exercise at all.

thanks- what do you mean you'd keep the loop and chain seperate?...two boxes (one for loop & one for chain)?...my drawing using one box wouldn't work combining them? (they are of course wired sperately, just housed together)...do I need to ground in the box or anything?

• Members

Noise is likely if the grounds are all tied together. Isolate the loop with plastic jacks and use the input for box grounding.

Like he said:

Why couldn't you just connect the in/in jack grounds together, the out/out jacks and whatnot. Wouldn't that just be a continuation of the 'cable' and be like running a cable right next to each other? I guess since the wires are exposed, maybe, but with plastic jacks there shouldn't be any physical connections besides the jack and it's corrosponding out part... right?

• Members

Why couldn't you just connect the in/in jack grounds together, the out/out jacks and whatnot. Wouldn't that just be a continuation of the 'cable' and be like running a cable right next to each other? I guess since the wires are exposed, maybe, but with plastic jacks there shouldn't be any physical connections besides the jack and it's corrosponding out part... right?

On a metal jack the ring is in contact with the nut so all nuts are connected through the metal box.

• Members

What Flying Z is saying is the Effects loop ground may not be common to the Input ground. If your amp has plastic marshall type input jacks this may be the case. If input jacks and loop jacks are the metal type that ground to the frame its a non issue.

• Members

What Flying Z is saying is the Effects loop ground may not be common to the Input ground. If your amp has plastic marshall type input jacks this may be the case. If input jacks and loop jacks are the metal type that ground to the frame its a non issue.

Yes, I neglected to elaborate, thanks WRGKMC.

• Members

So it will work for all scenarios use a metal box and only use plastic jacks for the effects loop. The guitar ground must touch the box and the effects loop ground must NOT.

^ thanks- just wondering...if I wanted the resilience of metal jacks, could I use plastic or rubber washers to keep the metal from touching the box on the loop connections?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

ok, have a couple questions...(this would have been easier to just use plastic jacks, but like I said, I want something more resilient) anyway...

1) would it fry everything if the loop connectors were metal and DID touch the box?

2) I was thinking of an alternative way to create a barrier for the loop connections- what about using that Liquid Tape stuff (liquid electrical tape) and use that as a barrier between metal parts and the box for the loop connections...do you think that would work?

thanks!

Archived