First DIY project: A/B Box

sfam198

• Members

So I just got an EBMM JP6 with the piezo and want to try to build an A/B box similar to what Petrucci uses to split his magnetic and piezo signal, but with a little twist.

From various postings on the Internet, I've found that Petrucci uses a stereo cable from the guitar to an A/B box, which is then split with the magnetic signal going to his amp rig and the piezo signal going to the PA.

I don't have a PA, so both of my signals would be going to my amp. I guess what I really want is to be able to run a stereo cable from my guitar and use an A/B box as a method to switch between signals. You might ask why I don't use the switch on the guitar already, but I've never really been very good at using those switches on the fly. If I could do the same thing with a footswitch, it would make things much easier.

Here's a quick and dirty diagram of what I want to do:

2n6dll.gif

I've found a few diagrams on the Internet, but they seem to all be taking two signals down into one cable. Could I possibly adopt one of these to just incorporate a stereo 1/4" jack for input instead of two 1/4" mono jacks? Any suggestions on where to start? Like I said this will be my first project. A relatively simple one, but I'd really like to make this work.

• Members

If you didnt need the LEDs it a simple job with a spst switch. The two channels would come into the box and go to the two ends on the switch. the output would be the center leg. With an LED you would need a DPDT. powers applied to the center of the second half of the switch. The two outside posts can go to two different colored LEDs and the LEDs would be grounded as the power supply for the LEDs would.

here it is with the DPDT switch

Piezo--------------> X X ------LED1-----> Ground or - power

To Amp

Mag ---------------> X X------LED2------> Ground or - power

The negative side of the power supply can be grounded to the box as a conductor or go directly to the negative sided of the LEDs

Archived