XLR Connectors and Cable

UMT

• Members

I'm thinking about switching my mixer patch cords from 1/4" to XLR cable and connectors? I want to build my own patch cords.. Where's the best and most inexpensive place to buy XLR connectors and cable? Some of the prices I've seen online are stone cold nuts!

2nd question: is it really worth the effort to build the cords?

Thanks in advance!

• Members

You used to be able to build cheaper than buying because you could buy connectors cheap in bulk. Cable too. As it is now, unless you have some source of parts direct from china or can EBay up some bulk parts at a good cost, its cheaper to buy.

The one exception would be to buy a few longer cords plus extra connectors. Then cut the cords in half or thirds and add the extra connectors. This can reduce the cost because longer XLR cables are a better buy per foot in comparison to short patch cables. Plus you have at least two XLR ends already mounted.

• Members

Hey, thanks for the great links guys.

I question still whether or not they make a huge difference? I plan to use them on a signal out and a signal patch. What do you think?

Why don't you just use TRS instead, that way you can just put a stereo 1/4" jack in the place where you would have had a regular TS 1/4" jack?

Personally, I ended up just buying cables from audiopile because in the long run - it was cheaper. Their prices on TRS patch cables was so cheap that i couldn't justify actually making them when I added in my time.

Archived