Strat tuners slipping, good replacement?

seanm27

• Members

I can definately help on this one. I've built alot of guitars and have tried all the major brands and can give a littel guidence,

First thing when shopping is the turns ratio. The higher the ratio, the more gradual the tuning. ie an 18:1 has a more gradual, more accurate tuning than a 14:1

Next is how much schlock there is when tuning up and down. This is the gab between the gears when you reverse direction. Most tuners are fine when tuning up to a note, but tuning down can be a disaster. You need to tune below the note and tune back up to the note.

The brands I found with alot of schlock bought ner are Grover, Schaller, and Kluson, and Wilkerson.

The tuners with the least amount of schlock were Gotah and Mighty Mite.

I have a set of Gotah on my one strat that are 15 years old and are still like new. I also bought a set of Mighty Mite which are the smoothest most exact tuners I own.

Gotahs are expensive and mighty mite are a bit difficult to find.

If you have the Klusin type in line type tuners that but up against eachother and held in place with screws. I suggest getting exact replacements. The neck hole size and bushings are smaller, and to install solid mini tuners requires drilling larger holes. You also have the issue of screw holes on the back of the neck left over. Kluson tuners arent bad new but get really raggad and gappy when they get old. The best of the bunch are these.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Gotoh_Tuners/Gotoh_Locking_Vintage_Oval_Knob_Tuners.html

They have a 15:1 ratio which is better than some.

Heres your exact replacements

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/tuners_genuinefender.htm

If you want something super exact and non slip, these are the best out there. with a 40:1 ratio and non slip, they are as accurate as you can find. Mounting and hole diameter are the key items and weather you dont mind having something thats non traditional to get superior tuning.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Guitar,_solid_peghead_tuners/Steinberger_Gearless_Tuners.html

As far as the no name brands like GFS and the many others on ebay and such. Theres maybe 3 or 4 manufacturers in the orient. Some arent bad for general use. The ones to stay away from are the ones with plastic bushings vs nylon or metal washers. You can spit them because they have a white washer between the yuning nut and gear body. These are completely suck job tuners. The bushings crack with very littel turning or tightening of the tension screw.

Thats about it. I suspect you have the traditional kluson tuners so The gotah while expensive are the best you can buy. Otherwise the traditional which are either made by Kluson or schaller are the way to go. Also buy new. Places like EBay is loaded with used tuners.

Hope this helps, let us know how you make out.

• Members

My reply is defeinitely not as thorough as WRGKMC's, but...

I am a huge fan of Hipshot tuners, I have only ever had good results with them. I am pretty sure that they make a set of tuners that are designed to go straight into strats, and they have an 18:1 gear ratio without much "schlock." Give them a call or email them and they can tell you whether or not their guitar tuners will fit right into your strat.

Archived