Here's my best axe now...

deeaa

• Members

Nice work! One question, why keep the springs etc when you have a tune-o-matic? Subtle spring reverb effect?

It looked dumb with nothing but an empty pool there, so I just screwed them in accross the space; they're just fixed similarly at either end to body wood.

Can't say it'd make a difference playing through an amp, but there is a change in the acoustic tone, yeah.

• Members

Thanks...things I like about the guitar are mostly it's very light&smallish, it's got a V neck and rather thin too but a traditional radius, jumbo frets...and it's kinda like a strat (scale etc) but has the gibson style bridge but more adjustable than gibson, plus fine-tuners yet no locking system...and it's a tiltneck with proper room between strings and body and a nice angle to play...and nice sustain due to tilts as well...and finally no awkward pup selectors but just volumes for mixing the pups in any config.

It's based on old Charvette wood parts...I just sat down and thought out everything I dislike about strats and gibsons as well as superstrats, and how could I make a guitar that would do away with all those little annoyances and have the features I like of both styles. I looked around for a suitable woods donor for a few years and bough this junker for about a hundred, plus maybe 350;- for other parts.

I also put together a strat that is a little smaller in each direction plus upper horn mic selector a la gibson, and a Flying-V which looks just like Gibson but has a birdseye maple fretboard/neck.

Archived