Where to find mini speakers?

seanm27

• Members

I am in need of a handful of small speakers for a mini-cab project, but mouser, parts-express, all-parts etc. don't have any that go as low as 80Hz (that I can find at least).

Does anyone know where I can find some 8Ohm 2W+ speakers smaller than 5 inches?

Thanks a lot!

• Members

I'm supposing this is for your lo watt amp project.

If you're using it for guitar, Guitar is mostly a midrange instrument. The lowest note on a guitar is 329hz. highest with overtones in the 5K region

If you get a speaker that goes as low as 100~140 it should sound fine. The bigger issue would be air mass. Without a tuned cabinet no bass can be produced. This doesnt really matter alot with guitar though. Small speakers sound like small speakers unless the cabinet is tuned to the resonant frequency. If you want something lower for bass guitar, you can try car speakers. For guitar, I'd pay more attention to the SPL level over the bass frequency especially for lower watt amps. The higher the SPL = the louder the sound per watt. second I'd focus on a speaker that has a range from around 120~5khz

Maybe something like this. cant beat the prices on these.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-927

or this

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-926

Polycone might work vs paper.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=299-146

If you nwant something really full range, these are the kind of speakers used on those pole guitar amps. Doubt if it would overdrive like a regular speaker, but may used in the same cab with a switch between the two would be cool. Would sound good with an electric acoustic guitar with its full range.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=269-484

Heres some that a small amp could be built into them or pull the drivers out.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=309-160

• Members

Yeah, small speakers with serious low end response are probably going to be hard to find. I know Bose and some others have developed the little drivers that are supposed to have a good low end, but I suspect those are pretty pricey. I'd check the Hi Fi / audio places, but if you're going to use them in a guitar project even a good Hi Fi speaker may not be a good choice.

What about checking out who's supplying the speakers for the mini-amps that are on the market now. Some of those things sound pretty impressive.

• Members

I'm supposing this is for your lo watt amp project.

If you're using it for guitar, Guitar is mostly a midrange instrument. The lowest note on a guitar is 329hz. highest with overtones in the 5K region

Thanks! I had read that 80Hz was necessary, guess I read wrong. I am now considering these cheap bad boys, and I am gonna check out the links you posted (thanks a lot for that man, it really helps!).

In a sense you are correct that this is part of my overall desire to better understand amplification. Upon learning of how woefully inadequate my knowledge is on the subject I have decided to go with my time tested method of starting simple and expanding. Currently I am completely incapable of building even the simplest amp.

Right now I am trying to build a small cab, and I have learned a lot about calculating watts, ohms, etc. Eventually I want to have a strong understanding of both amps and cabs.

• Members

I saw that one. I'd go with the polycone I listed. Its a lower wattage and higher SPL which means it will be louder. If you get a high wattage speaker, well above the amp wattage, its going to sound bad because the low wattage wont be able to even get the cone moving. Think of it this way. Speakers have a minimum and maximum wattage range. You want to run speakers at 70% for the best sound. If you had say a 7 watt rms amp, a 10 watt speaker should give you the best sound gain wise. you could bump that to maybe 20w, but 40w is a bit much. The coil wont recieve enough voltage to get the coil moving enough and it will sound small.

If you want some speaker breakup, match the RMS value of the amp.

• Members

Seanm, how did you substitute the word these for the link to parts express? Just curious and hope your small amp build works out well. I've been considering one myself even though I could buy one cheaper than making one. But where's the fun in that? Thanks

• Members

In case no one has told you today, you are smart :). Thanks extra hard W, I'm gonna get the polys and see how it turns out.

Seanm, how did you substitute the word these for the link to parts express? Just curious and hope your small amp build works out well. I've been considering one myself even though I could buy one cheaper than making one. But where's the fun in that? Thanks

Type the word you want to appear in the post. Highlight the word (double click on it) and press the button that looks like a globe with a sideways infinity symbol in front of it (right below the emoticon button). It will ask you for the web address you want to link to, type it in (or copy/paste it in) and press OK. Hope this helps, just ask if I am being unclear.

Archived