KISS and the Sonic Boom WalMart Strategy

• Members

Lyric from Danger Us from the Sonic Boom disc:

Two parts trouble

Ready steady rough

Danger me, danger you

Danger Us

They are in their {censored}ing 60's!!!! They get AARP magazine sent to their house. And they can't turn a phrase better than that? THAT is the best they can do?

Don't tell me they care about anything other than making a buck. They look at their brand as a way to make money, nothing more. And they do a fine job doing that. They care about it the same way a CEO cares about his company. It is not an artistic statement, it is about productivity and profitability. Nothing more.

And I think that if Gene or Paul read that last paragraph, they would unashamedly agree. And good for them. Just don't confuse their version of "care about the music" with the a common perception of what that means.

You can say they "appear not to care" about the music based on one line, the whole album or every song they've ever written. If you don't like Kiss the band or Kiss the corporation, that's cool too. I care about their music and to me that is all that matters.

• Members

I loved Sonic Boom. Good value. As a Kiss fan I liked hearing the remakes also with new production. I still love most of the old ones better...but it was fun. Songs like Modern Day Delilah rock in any era. Nobodys perfect sounds like it could have come off Rock and Roll over. All in all I dug it.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I love that they finally realized that they don't need a record deal to make records. Their label is listed on the packaging as Kiss Records. Very cool. That's how it ought to be.

However, when I dropped the album in my CD drive, track information did not download and populate the player. I searched around. It's not in any databases. That's just stupid. What a ridiculous oversight. Never thought I'd be listening to another batch of Klassic Kiss Krap with Media Player saying "Unknown Artist, Unknown Album."

Though WalMart wouldn't be my choice as a distributor, I think the deal is sound. There's no reason to put the album everywhere anymore. It would cost a lot more in the distributor's piece. However, there's no excuse for them not selling the album at KissOnline.com.

The independent mentality is so deeply ingrained in me that many of these things seem like no brainers. I guess Gene and co. are still learning. :~)

Shame I refuse to shop at Wal Mart anymore.

"The High Cost of Low Prices"

• Members

Kiss still rocks, fans love them, others hate them and the success they've had. They still play sold out shows, put on the biggest shows out there, and have marketed themselves so they make their money regardless of record sales. How many bands have achieved that over the course of the last 35 years, not many, how many wish they had, all of them.

• Members

Kiss still rocks, fans love them, others hate them and the success they've had. They still play sold out shows, put on the biggest shows out there, and have marketed themselves so they make their money regardless of record sales. How many bands have achieved that over the course of the last 35 years, not many, how many wish they had, all of them.

Amen brother!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived