larrivee L03-12vs Carvin c-980-12

indigoblue

• Members

I love Carvin but there's no choice between them and Larrivee. Larrivee is simply a better guitar. Now as far as 12 strings that is a very personal decision and the Carvin may be awesome. I have not played one. In general though you are talking a USA/Canada made 100% solid wood .vs. a Laminated sides Asian jobber with USA setup. Actually it's a tough call knowing how much people like their Carvins. I'd save my money and jump up to an 05 series Larrivee which I think is the best value guitar line built today.

Highly opinionated, so make your own best decision. I could be wrong about what is best for you. I have no doubt the resale value on the Larrivee is better. Especially if you buy the Larrivee at a real heavy discount.

• Members

I'd go with the Larrivee L03-12 simply because it "fits" me better...at 5'2'', Jumbo guitars are way too "big" on me...though I love the sound, I would look like Country's Little Jimmy Dickens. And the Carvin C980-12 is a Jumbo.

Carvin uses a Fishman Prefix pickup, while Larrivee uses B-band pickup. While "LittleBrother" is correct on the resale value, the quality of Korean made guitars is getting better by leaps and bounds. A great example is Breedlove's Atlas series...great guitars at a reasonable price. It depends on one speaks with, but there's not much of a sound difference between solid and laminated sides...Guild has had laminated sides for years.

• Members

LittleBrother

Where would you put the Taylor 355 and 555 in this picture? I had been looking at the Carvin but don't need (or want) the Fishman p/u and hole in the side, and I like my T314 except for the satin finish, so I had pretty much settled on a T555 to replace my Martin D12-28. I'm close to Vancouver so I could run up and buy the Larrivee (altho the Canadian dollar is getting stronger to the US).

For what its worth - I play finger style (flesh and nails) and tune down two or three half steps. I play a lot of Kottke and Procter style music in open tunings and frequently play with a slide. My Martin is a beautiful piece of wood but really doesn't fit my style. I never plug in so the p/u is a moot point.

Big problem is A/B/C-ing these things - particularly the Carvin. Thoughts on the Taylor vs Larrivee?

• Members

Guys, I have played many 12-strings including the Carvin C980-12 and that is one spectacular 12-string guitar in every respect. The whole is so far greater than the sum of its parts that it ain't funny. I played 4 of them so I could feel sure that it wasn't a fluke. What I would suggest is ordering and receiving (risking only the return shipping... consider it a 10-day rental of a brand new guitar) the C980-12 and taking it to as many shops as you want to to compare it head-to-head against anything you want. Zero risk. Then you'll know. Also have someone else play it for you so you can hear it project and get a sense of what your audience hears. Also play it through a good acoustic amp. Don't pass up a chance to play one of these and compare. They are really good... Boggs

Archived