Most powerful acoustic amp?

pima007

• Members

A 200 watt amp doesn't do you any good unless you have speaker efficiency to go with it. Remember that a doubling of output watts will give you only 3db increase in overall gain. And, to achieve an apparent "doubling" of loudness, you would need 10dB....so, your 200 watt amp, given the same speaker system, could possibly be only twice as loud as your 50 watt amp. Unless of course the speakers go into "power compression" which occurs as you pump the watts to the speakers and the voice coils get hot, causing them to lose efficiency.

So in real world terms, and taking into account power compression, your 200 watt amp will be able to deliver only about half again more volume than the 50 watt amp.

Choose your amp by SPEAKER EFFICIENCY rather than output power...

The best of the "acoustic amps" are really the powered speakers from JBL and Mackie.....IMHO.....

• Members

Old Peavy solid state Classic 130. What a speaker- got clean channel eq boost and presence. Repaired one a while back and this is the loudest amp that you can carry anywhere. Pushes 130 watts through 4 ohms on the speaker. If you can find one in a pawn shop it ought to be cheap.

• Members

Another thing to consider is that you can only go so "loud" before your acoustic guitar will start feeding back (squealing)...a decent 50+ watt amp (my Kustom KAA-65 is 65 watts) is as loud as I've ever needed, even with my band's rhythm section going full-tilt!

I do run the amp's line out to the PA, so essentially my amp is functioning as a guitar monitor, but that's pretty much the normal way to do this.

• Members

Hi everybody -- I'm back from vacation (if you can call moving a vacation)

Anyway, you ought to be able to make some *horrible* squealing with this 600-watter......:D

http://www.carvin.com/cgi-bin/Isearch.exe?CFG=2&P2=RC210&P1=BA

In the last part of the description, they say that you can use it as an acoustic amp. Looks like it has plenty of tone-shaping control, not to mention headroom.

Brent

Archived