Got my Larrivee OM-09 in!!!! YES!

Chrohm

• Members

I LOVE this guitar....WOW....so beautiful....people said this guitar was plain!?!??! Got it from witchita (sp?) band for a killer price...

I'll post pics and maybe a clip later...I'm so happy about it....

I really need to put different strings on it....I can't handle Elixers...

Anyone have string recommendations? I play a lot of lead/bending and finger picking...

Thanks

Charlie

• Members

Congratulations! That's one hell of a guitar you got there! I think the world of Larrivee instruments...IMO, they're the finest mass-produced acoustic guitars out there today. The trim on the -05 and -09 guitars plain?!?! I think they're beautiful and done very tastefully.

As for strings...

I've been having a great time with the Martin Marqis strings I put on about a month ago. They're just now starting to deteriorate a bit in feel. Still sound great, though.

Dean Markley Formula 82/R are cool in my book, but they aren't for everyone.

• Members

They were definitely talking about the -3s, not your OM-9.

I just got to try my first Larrivee tonight - the OM-3. My impressions are mixed. Nice playing guitar with good weight and tone, but it could have used some luster to draw the eye as well as the ear. That's what you get for less than $800 I guess.

I also agree on the Elixirs; they sound a lot better on my laminated guitar than they did to me on that solid Larrivee. Martin Phosphor Bronzes would seem to be a better choice IMO.

• Members

I played it beside my friends martin om-16gt....no quality relationship at all....the larrivee feels so expensive...but, the martin still plays terrific and sounds good...the larrivee just has so much more clarity and professional sound.

• Members

Charlie here got this from my right hand man, Chet Aiken (no, I'm not kidding about the name). This is undoubtedly one of the best OM-09's we've had in our inventory. The bearclaw is killer. Congrats, and let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

--Nathan

• Members

Ive had it about a month now. They're great - I cant put it down.

Regarding strings, I replaced the Elixirs first with some Webstrings Bluegrass gauge Phosphor Bronze. The Webstrings sounded great. The only thing I have noticed about them is they seem to not last quite as long. I did keep them on the guitar a month though. Just today I put on some John Pearse Bluegrass gauge Phosphor Bronze. They sound great too, but are still breaking in. I have been pleased with all the JP strings in the past.

I tried a light gauge (.053) LOW E string before putting on the .056 John Pease. THe medium strings were a little bit deeper , but I am considering going to lights next change anyway. My fingers are getting shredded by the Bluegrass mediums.

AND EVILK TWIN, tell me about the Dean Markley 82/R's. WHats the deal on those? How do they sound, play, and last? Sizes work out like other makers? What makes the sound so different? Loud and punchy? Do they bring out the overtones?

• Members

I just love "new guitar" threads to start my day. And what a great looking guitar yours is - Riffdaddy's right, that bearclaw is killer. Very nice indeed.

I wish you many years of happiness and a great bond between you and your instrument.

Play on!!

Cams

• Members

Congratulations on your new toy, Larrivees are awesome!

Just got my LV-10E a month ago, and I love it. Took a chace and bought it of eBay... Paid 1700, while the list price is 3400... No regrets!

As to strings, I find the Elixirs to be the best...

Go Larrivee!

• Members

Man, I'm glad there's no commandment that says, "thou shalt not covet thy fellow forum member's guitar". Of the Larrivee line that's the model I've been looking at the most. The binding is the first thing that caught my eye in other ads, and is sweet on this one. Oh yeah, the bearclaw......awesome!! I know it has to sound great as well.

• Members

RiffDaddy is building a strong reputation for a home run on every swing. Good job and that is a STUNNING OM.

OM might be one of the best guitar designs ever made. If you had to choose 1 guitar that might be the type. That one also has a nice tint to it. Killer !

two circles and a snap ;)

• Members

the only complaint I have is there is some minor buzzing going on in various places...and the 6th fret high e string almost frets out...I'm going to take it to my luthier friend and get him to adjust it some...other than that, the guitar is killer.

• Members

Originally posted by Chrohm

the only complaint I have is there is some minor buzzing going on in various places...and the 6th fret high e string almost frets out...I'm going to take it to my luthier friend and get him to adjust it some...other than that, the guitar is killer.

I'd wait for the nut slots to wear in a little and make DARN sure you have it humidified at least in the 45% plus range for a week or so. If the guitar is dried out a little the action will seem low and possibly buzz. If you get it humidified to normal specs and settled then set it up you will have a more accurate and long lasting setup. Check your truss rod relief too. It may have settled a little being shipped and being new. Just be careful or you can end up paying for a setup twice.

• Members

The truss rod is accessed WAY back inside the sound hole all the way back to the neck block. Larrivee should have included a long funky shaped metal adjustment tool to make the reach.

When you adjust it, send the tool as far toward the neck as you can and at the same time as close to the top as you can. That is where the truss rod nut is. I used a mirror to examine it, then reched in with my hand before using the tool...

• Members

Originally posted by Chrohm

LB, I feel really stupid, but I can't find the truss rod adjustment on these guitars...is it inside?

thx

STOP!! :eek:

Unless you are familiar with what adjustments need to be made to the truss rod, I'd highly suggest letting your local shop guy/gal doing it for you, or least go over the process with you.

And definitely, please heed LB's advice about humidity. You've now got a first rate guitar, and we must takes good care of it, my Preciousss!

Archived