how high up the martins...

baseballdadx

• Members

The 15 series are the cheapest solid wood guitars. Very plain, all Mahogany guitars, no binding, satin finish. Mahog topped guitars have their own character and sound. The 16 series are the more common mahog or rosewood body with a spruce top, and you can get a gloss finished top. The 17 series is a very nice all mahog. guitar with a gloss finish and IMO a much fuller sound than a 15. The 18 is mahog/spruce, and used to be the bottom of the Martin line. It is now the bottom of the "Standard Series". Check the CF Martin site for details and pricing. Best street price is around 40% off list.

• Members

I just fell in love with a Dc-16 with a rosewood back so I'd say, around there. It's the only Martin I've really liked that much. I haven't played a lot of models above that, but I did compare it to a D-28 and liked it as much or better. The micarta is a turnoff which until now has prevented me from considering them but this one was sweet. The lower end ones I've tried didn't do it for me-I liked the Taylors and Larrivees better in that range. I remeber trying to decide between a Gibson Gospel and a D-16 back in '94 and it was a tough decision, but the Gibson won out. I've got serious gas for that Dc-16 now though-with a fishman blender.

Archived