Good acoustic that plays like an electric?

VanArnaoutov

• Members

I've been playing electric guitar for over 5 years now... I'm getting my first acoustic and I need you guys to help me out.

I want something decent (not cheap) that sounds great and plays great, something that can play similarly to an electric (in the upper frets) but still retain a nice acoustic tone. Maybe something like Yngwie plays, you know, something you can really "shred" on? Somewhere under 1k, but I can go higher if it's really worth it.

Thanks in advance,

-Van

• Members

Hey. Action-wise it's hard to beat Larrivee (in my experience). I have an L-03E (round shouldered dreadnaught). You might want to try one of the single-cutaway models (upper fret access). The ebony fretboards on these (and on Taylors as well) are really nice...

front_reg.jpg

• Members

I may not like their sound, but I've never seen any other acoustic guitar with as action as low as some of the Taylors I've seen. I mean, you could think of a note on those guitars and it would sound.

Larrivee makes extremely high-quality stuff, and you could probably get the action down to a very comfortable level. I've heard some electric players say they play "stiff," though. Since I play acoustic more, I really don't notice.

The one every electric player I've heard say they like, though, is the Tacoma Cheif. The action can get pretty damn low, and the necks are more like electric guitars than most other acoustics. And yes, the cutaway is there for you.

Ovations have very comfortable necks. However, I've never been a fan of their sound and I've never felt the roundbacks were comfortable. Many electric players swear by 'em, though. But I just don't think they sound "true acoustic" enough.

• Members

If you can set it up yourself or get someone to set it up how you want it, then it should just be a matter of finding the right sounding guitar. If your just going to use it plugged in theres not too much stopping you from getting ultra-light strings (.10) setting up for super-low action and getting a shorter scale guitar. the unplugged volume and tone will suffer though.

I'd say buy what sounds good and has a comfortable neck and have it setup. If you buy it locally many dealers will set it up for you. If you learn to do it yourself it will be done better. but if you screw it up you may have to buy a new nut or saddle or something and it can easily be a pain in the arse if you don't know what your doing.

I don't see why they make the nuts so high on almost all guitars. open strings dont buzz any more when you capo up.

• Members

Three guys I know (not at liberty to say their name,they are professional musicians I have corresponded with quite a few times), are real loyal Ovation players, as a matter of fact one is an endorser of Ovation and he gets free guitars.He swears no guitar is better for people who like electric guitars.He also enjoys his Takamine, which he recieved as a birthday gift from a friend of his.He has a few Martins as well, but they are his studio guitars.His stage guitars are Taks and ovations.Two other guys I know, one of them is the lead guitarist with the guy who likes the Ovations and Taks.He likes Gibsons and he was recently featured in a guitar magazine playing a Gibson Hummingbird.He endorses both Gibson custom shop historic series electrics and Gibson acoustics in Bozeman.The other guy also endorses Gibson electrics,Gibson Acoustics (I know he often plays a Dove and a songbird).He also endorses Carvin amps and says they are superior to Fenders,Marshalls,and anything else he's used.Oh and the guy who likes the Ovations mainly plays the 6 string viper (the acoustic viper, not the crappy Viper electric for the 70's) He also uses a 12 string viper.

• Members

I tried out a Washburn rarewood the other day when I went in to the music store to buy strings. The salespeople know me and sold me the guitars I have and know I have an old Washburn so had to show it to me
I was amazed.
The fingerboard was ebony, I think, polished, the neck smooth, and as soon as I touched the string and moved just a teeny bit it sounded like I had used a slide on it.
It was an incredibly fast fingerboard. They are not expensive either, under $500. Unfortunately I wasn't in the market for a guitar.
They are limited editions, and they had had an ebony/solid spruce one that they had already sold. Good thing, I might have done something drastic to get it. I am sure there are other guitars that are like that too, this was just one possiblity. I am still into just-above-entry-level guitars, but this looked good to me. Sigh.

• Members

Originally posted by EvilTwin

Larrivee makes extremely high-quality stuff, and you could probably get the action down to a very comfortable level. I've heard some electric players say they play "stiff," though. Since I play acoustic more, I really don't notice.

Part of the reason electric players might call a Larrivee "stiff" is that they ship them from the factory with Elixir Polywebs. I have found the Polywebs to be a relatively stiff string, and I can see how the strings alone could cause people to think the guitar itself was a little tough.

The distinct advantage of the Elixirs is that they sound good four months later when the shop hasn't changed strings or even wiped down the fretboard on any of their instruments. The Elixir-equipped Larrivees sound great, while all the other guitars now have dead strings on them.

• Members

Has anyone tried Rickenbacker acoustics?

I've read they are built with the electric player in mind but price seems to be up there with Colings or Santa Cruz making it too rich for my blood.

They don't seem too popular though as I can't recall ever seeing any performers using them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

OR... How 'bout the other side of that coin? - A electric that can sound like a acoustic? P.R.S. guitars have a wide range of sounds and the Parker "Fly" is chosen by quite a few 'Acoustic' guitarists that swear by it's 'chamelion' characteristics- Joni Mitchell for one.
Greystoke

Archived