Acoustic pickup

Deek

• Members

I want to get my mom a pickup for Christmas. I am looking at the Dean Markley soundhole pickup. But... there are 2 different kinds at the store. Single coil and humbucker. Can you explain to me the difference in sound between the two? She plays mostly folk music and strums simple open chords.

Thanks for the help

• Members

There are some newer soundhole pickups that sound okay but generally soundhole is not considered the best way to go EXCEPT for the fact that they are the easiest to use. No damage to the guitar. Pop in and out. Sometimes cheaper too. I think the one you mentioned is considered okay.

There are lots of under bridge piezo pickups and those are the current standard. The best would be piezo mixed with internal mic but that's expensive.

Folk music would call for a piezo I'd think.

Good luck.

Blackmail

• Members

I had one of the early Dean Markley promags (before they multiplexed the promag line) and I hated it. It was very trebly and unnatural... the guitarist in my current band recently did some acoustic stuff with a Seymour Duncan soundhole pickup, although I don't remember the model other than that it looked similar to the Promag. It didn't sound great, but it was better than the Markley.

• Members

I have both types of those Markley ones , one I bought new years ago, Pro Mag , and the other is the Pro Mag Grand humbucking .I prefer the sound of the original one over the h/b .But I bought the H/B at a pawn shop so maybe it's been beat up ? Hey if you just want to have fun it's a cheap and easy way to go but they don't compare to the higher end ones . I also have a stick on one , "no name" that was $20 CDN but it really sucks.

• Members

I use a Pro Mag Plus (single coil) and like it very much. You will need to run it thru a pre amp or an amp with an eq. It works great thru a POD. I have never had a piezo ust that I liked. Its a matter of personal preference. Go to the Dean Markley website to get a good explanation of their pups. Victor Litz Music has the Dean Markleys for $39.00.

• Members

Originally posted by Deek

Can you tell me the difference between the singlecoil and humbucker and what is better for different kinds of music?

hey deek.

single coils usually offer a brighter more trebly sound but also make more noise (humming or buzzing, especially around other electrical devices).

humbuckers offer a warmer sound and don't hum and buzz like single coils.

• Members

Originally posted by Terry Allan Hall

Deek,

If you can afford it, get her the humbucker version and a 6-band EQ (MXR or Boss are excellent)...this way she'll have very little noise and still, by carefully tweaking the EQ, a really nice tone.

getting an eq is a good suggestion.

let me throw a recommendation out there for an eq as well.

the danelectro 'fish & chips' 7-band eq. yes, i realize it has a cheesy name and it's a small plastic box, but let me tell ya this is one very good eq. it's also studio quiet. you can usually get it for around $40. i've heard of people owning this and more expensive eq boxes and getting rid of the others b/c they like this lil dano eq better.

Archived